1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IDIOT NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS and KRISPY KREME

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Mar 5, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

First, I have never gotten the whole jonesing for Krispy Kreme. Second, since the chain first opened outside the South (pre-Internet), newspapers have sent as many as three reporters to cover a new store opening, like the Pope's in town. Third, I have never seen an ad for Krispy Kreme in a paper, website or TV (in the Northeast). Today I saw a "story" on NorthJersey.com about KK opening a new store near me, as if that's still news. Publishers who pull this shit deserve to starve. Unfortunately, they take journos with them.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

See also In and Out Burger.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Krispy Kreme and In-N-Out are both vastly overrated.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Heresy. They're just fine.

5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Central Jersey paper did a story today on a diner closing, a year after doing a story about the same diner (part of a national chain) opening.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Restaurant openings and closings are suddenly really popular with restaurants. I see year end lists of closed restaurants etc. I'm guessing they get clicks.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

LOL. Hyperlocal clicks, people!!!

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don’t have an issue with those types of articles. Don’t need the overkill, but pretty much every reader eats out at least occasionally so restaurant openings and closings are news.

Liut, PaperClip529 and sgreenwell like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This Krispy Kreme insanity was going on before clicks. It's no restaurant. No one writes about a Dunkin opening in my neck of the woods. It will be an interesting case study for newspapers' epitaphs.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And for our TV pals, an Ikea opening!

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pennsyltucky treats Chick-fil-A opening like the original Beatles coming to town.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My friend, who was editor and publisher of the paper in Victorville, wrote a Page One column celebrating the opening of Cracker Barrel. He wrote that the opening of this restaurant validated the status of Victorville as a significant city.

Draft saved Draft deleted