1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nessel to UM: Waive privilege so we can investigate sex abuse claims

Noting quite acidly that Sparty's refusal to waive privilege has seriously obstructed the Nassar cases, so she's putting the heat on U-M from the get-go.

At the same time she's putting pressure on U-M and MSU, she's bringing plenty of heat down on the Catholic dioceses, who had promised decisive action against pedo priests, but have been foot-dragging (shocking shocking).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One dynamic is the MSU alumni call the Detroit media The Blue Wall
    Sparties always cite bias in their coverage compared to UM
    Of course, Wolverines claim bias, too
    The thing is, Ann Arbor is in the Detroit coverage area
    Lansing isn’t
    In the Detroit area, the numbers of grads of both schools are comparable
    But UM has the WalMart Wolverine, who didn’t go to either school but is a UM slappy
    They put the arrogant in arrogant asses

3. Starman

The Blue Wall certainly existed in the 70s-80s, but U-M closed its undergraduate J-school some 30 years ago (partially on the grounds the major lacked 'academic credibility'); as a result news staffs across the state have become heavily packed with Sparty grads.

Especially in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky fiasco at PSU providing a breathtakingly perfect example of how not to handle such a scandal, Sparty's fuckup handling of the Nassar disaster is truly amazing in its ineptitude.

It's like they duplicated almost all of PSU's fuckups, except rather than a nationally famous legendary football program, the pervert in question was a figure in a nondescript below average nothingburger women's gymnastics program.

At least with Sandusky, you could understand (if certainly not approve) that Paterno had made a lot of dumb choices in an attempt to protect his legendary powerful football program.
    What the hell were the idiots at MSU protecting? The renowned gymnastics program which frequently finished fifth in the conference?
    I mean, if Larry Nassar was such a great fucking asset to the program, why wasn't MSU gymnastics towering over the Big Ten and the NCAA like a galactic colossus?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If MSU couldn’t control some nebish trainer like Larry Nasser, Tom Izzo could shoot a freshman at practice and serve his body as a pregame feast and no one in Spartytown would say a word. Not saying Izzo would, but he could.

5. Jake from State Farm

Mark Hollis left before he was fired and LouAnna K. Simon is staring at a jail term
    They enabled a child molester
    They were punished
    Why they decided to protect Klages, who knows
    She’s going to jail too
    They even protected Jacqui Joseph, coach of the worst softball program in the Big Ten, when allegations arose of her mistreatment of players, including asking an assistant coach to plunk a player in batting practice
    They surely didn’t protect her because of her win-loss record
    Nobody knows why MSU does the shit it does but it always closes ranks and that clannishness is a big part of the problem

matt_garth likes this.
  6. Starman

That's what I don't get; I would get it if Nassar was some guy involved with the nationally prominent football or basketball programs, a-la Sandusky.(That certainly wouldn't make it right, but at least you could understand it somewhat.)

But Nassar was a nobody nebbish working with who-cares women's non-revenue sports programs. If I were Simon or Hollis, I wouldn't risk the last French fry in the burger bag over Larry Nassar.

7. Jake from State Farm

8. Starman

It can be quite safely stated this is almost certainly complete bullshit:

New Curtis Blackwell suit: Michigan State, Mark Dantonio fired me because I'm black

However, THIS assertion ...

... is utterly 1000 percent believable.

In reality, Blackwell was fired because he was interfering with the sexual assault investigations, and doing it very badly, and in the process increasing the probability the whole mess would bust into public view.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. Jake from State Farm

10. Starman

11. Jake from State Farm

12. Starman

Not so fast.

AG will appeal dismissal of charges against former MSU president

Disclosure: I have relatives who live three houses away from Simon. They say she's pleasant enough around the neighborhood, gives out candy at Halloween, etc etc.
    But her actions in the Nassar case look really really bad. As they say, either you're responsible or you're irresponsible.

Draft saved Draft deleted