1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Mediocre Uniforms Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 3, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The kind of uniforms that inspire total apathy. A real "meh."

The Indianapolis Colts. The 1992 Cleveland Cavaliers.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The late 1980s/early 90s Bills and Giants road uniforms. White on white, incredibly generic. If Super Bowl 54 was a feast for the eyes from a uniform standpoint, Super Bowl 25 made you want to pour bleach in your eyes.

All of the black on black NFL uniforms, or really most of the solid color uniforms. They don't look bad, but they just don't look as good as people think they do. Those teams usually have so many better color combinations (the Saints, Jags and Ravens are the biggest offenders) that it's disappointing when they roll out in the all-blacks.
    There are a couple of exceptions. The all-whites that the Saints had this season were pretty sharp. And the Seahawks have grown on me over the years, because that weird shade of blue-green is so unique.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The gushing over those has always baffled me. The blue jerseys aren't bad, but the ones in the picture look like JoePa got them after shooting on "The Longest Yard" wrapped up in 1974 and they were too much of a bargain to let go.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    cyclingwriter2 and Driftwood like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Colts have always kept the over-the-shoulder stripes (as opposed to the top-of-the-arm stripes), so I give them props for that.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any of the baseball teams with the generic "script" name on the front. They look fine, look like baseball unis, but nothing special.
    Basketball unis with team name over the number on the front (Knicks, Celtics) - granted, not a lot you can do with hoop unis outside of font.
    Plain white football pants, no stripes or anything? You aren't even making an effort.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Those Johnny Hector era Jets helmets were awesome.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ravens, Titans, new Broncos, new Patriots, Panthers... Jags...

Meh... Meh... Meh... Meh... Meh...

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's really hard to mess up a football uniform. White pants and a color jersey look good in almost any combination. The Saints' all-whites, and the Jags' all-white pants and teal jersey combos are sharp.
    It's weird, though, that when it goes bad it seems to go horribly bad. I remember the Seahawks wore white pants with their blue-green jerseys once and it looked terrible.

12. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I can't single out one team on this matter, but I'll say any baseball game pitting white against gray makes a mediocre combination at best. I know the sport's purists love the practice because they love just about every aspect of the game that predates the Seattle Pilots, but its time has long passed. There should be a new rule, from MLB downward, where the home team decides whether a given game is white versus a real color or a real color versus gray.

Draft saved Draft deleted