1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gasly's demotion at Red Bull too.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

F1: Drive to Survive Season 2 trailer looks good.

3. bigpern23

Watched a couple episodes today and, while I enjoyed them, it seems like there is a ton more foul language this season. It bums me out because my 7-year-old loved Season 1, but he’s way too young to watch Riccardo calling Netflix “a bunch of fucking cunts.” That’s a call from his teacher waiting to happen.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm through the first five episodes. Great stuff again this season.

I was convinced at the end of last season that Haas will be sold by the 2021 season, assuming F1 really does get its cost controls in place. The Haas episode didn't exactly change my mind. What a clown show.

garrow likes this.
  5. bigpern23

Without having seen episodes 4 and 5, Gene Haas didn't seem to be all that into what it takes to be an F1 owner not related to Enzo Ferrari or Karl Benz. My assumption in watching the first three episodes — in which we saw the dynastic entrance of the RICH Energy CEO and his limp departure — is that Haas will find another co-sponsor. I hope so. I root for Haas to make its way up among the "best of the rest."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Haas took a novel approach -- they get major elements of the car from 3rd party companies, which allowed them to be competitive quickly without spending a ton. Last year they saw the downside of that: they couldn't develop or improve the car because no one really understood it. It wasn't theirs. I'm not sure how easily they can overcome that.

I'd like to see Haas succeed but it concerns me that Steiner, Grosjean and Magnussen are all back this year. They didn't really deserve to return, and the fact that they're all back suggests to me that Gene Haas has decided to stay in a holding pattern until 2021. The team's value should increase when they have the budget caps locked down and I think he'll bail. If that's not the case, losing doesn't bother him nearly as much as I would have expected.

I've always liked Gunther Steiner and found him pretty entertaining in season one. Season two, he strikes me as a guy with no ideas who appears to be viewed with disdain by the team. Those guys look miserable, top to bottom.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This was two years before CART had a full-time safety team, and one day before safety workers were even at the track.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Let's hear it for the guy who welded that roll cage. Jaysus.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

IndyCars at Sebring for two days of testing. Wife wants the car today, but maybe I'll see if they're allowing the public to watch tomorrow. If not, some guys from the RV park want to go to St. Pete in two weeks.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

St. Pete Grand Prix is offering credit for the 2021 race to ticket holders but no refunds
    Sounds like a lawsuit to me

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They might have some legal standing but that's lousy PR. Seems like every canceled event is giving money back.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I may take the Kia to downtown St. Pete this afternoon and rev the engine at a stoplight or two, just to see if anybody thinks the race is running.

Draft saved Draft deleted