1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don’t read the comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fixed

2muchcoffeeman and Fredrick like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Friedrich, I've heard more bad ideas than good during 'brainstorming' meetings. Citizen journalism or mobile journalism ("mojo") was another genius idea hatched.

You get talking to one of these folks and you quickly realize the person has never worked one day in the trenches.

"You've got city hands, Mr. Hooper - been countin' money all your life."

Fredrick and justgladtobehere like this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Newspapers missed the boat on this, shockingly. Should have monetized the comments. Make commenters put a credit card on file and ding them for a nickel per or whatever. Might have stopped a lot of the lunatics and if it didn't, at least they're paying for their obnoxiousness. And if two guys want to have a comment-fight under a story on your web space, great, then you're rolling in the nickels!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I knew how easy it was to con newspaper executives with "new visions" for the industry and hop from conference to conference selling snake oil - I coulda have been rich.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Around 2008-2009, we had a big companywide staff meeting on ways to cut costs. People volunteered the usual perfunctory stuff. "We could bring in our own water instead of having the water cooler in the corner!" "Turn down the heat!" "Make sure your computers are turned off when you leave." Then I said, "how about we get rid of all of it? With Wifi, cell phones and home computers we really don't NEED an office. Just have a morning conference call to establish a budget, an afternoon conference call to finalize things and go from there." I got the expected grunts and snorts from the managing editor "Oh, I don't know about that..." Bottom line: they wanted to be able to snoop and annoy us, and they can't do that if we're working unmolested out of sight.

A decade later, guess what this paper is transitioning to.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is, no kidding, about the best idea for the business I've read on this site. The people who pay for MAGA merch (or Bernie merch) would not hesitate to pay.

Danwriter likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is actually true. Have somebody brand you a visionary and go around and be a "consultant" and you'd be a multi millionaire.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

My gosh. What a great post! Those who hate Fredrick for dissing the suits and praising the little guy and gal. Here's yet another example. You wrote: "Bottom line: they wanted to be able to snoop and annoy us, and they can't do that if we're working unmolested out of sight." This is the terrorizing of reporters Fredrick refers to a lot. Notice how the suits never respond. You are exactly right. If the newspaper print product is being produced out of state, you don't need people to congregate in an office.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why not make them write letters to the editor instead?

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hell of a good point.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

They can totally snoop and annoy you if you're working remotely too. As soon as they become technically aware enough to realize that, maybe working remotely will become more of a thing.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh, not the same. I know what BYM2 means. I've had more than one boss who did their "job" by wasting my time with their musings or suggestions while standing over me. It's only 15 minutes but, my goodness, OK, please, stop, here's some candy, leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted