1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2020 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 16, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mine is saves+holds, which is much better than saves only. I don’t chase saves, but I went the few extra bucks fo Osuna’s consistency.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Net saves + Net holds is even better

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Received a trade offer ahead of my dynasty auction. The other guy offered Jorge Polanco ($3) for Keuchel ($3) and Correa ($41).

I’m most likely going to drop Correa and don’t intend to bid on him (too injury prone the last two seasons). I have depth at SP, so losing Keuchel doesn’t bother me much.

I just don’t know much about Polanco. He was pretty good last year is about all I know.

4. outofplace

With the exception of steals, the trends are positive with Polanco and he is only 26. He showed signs of being a productive hitter before last season. He has some pop and he has had a good walk rate for a while, so the high average is probably sustainable. He is a decent bet for 20-plus home runs again, too. He is one of many players who changed his launch angle and gained exit velocity in 2019.

One thing to keep in mind is that he was suspended for 80 games in 2018 for PED use. There is always a chance he could get busted again.

I'd rather have Polanco at $3 than Keuchel and I certainly wouldn't keep Correa at that number given his injuries. I'd take the trade.

5. bigpern23

Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Figured it was better than getting nothing for Correa. Polanco and Bichette should be solid values at SS for $3 each.

6. outofplace

I hate autodraft so much. My money league is a slow auction, but we have a 10-round reserve draft after the auction. It's not live, so we have two hours per pick. The guy just ahead of me didn't bother to draft today and it looks like he didn't bother to pre-rank players, either. He just got the next player on CBS's list. Of course, that was also the player I wanted, Avisail Garcia. He's no star, but I thought he was by far the best hitter to make it to the reserve draft and I nearly got him with pick No. 12. (Half of the first round was guys drafting whatever prospects weren't already on a roster. I ended up having to go that route, too, with the veterans I wanted gone.)

On the plus side, three of my minor league keepers in that league have a real shot to be regulars in the majors to start the season: Gavin Lux, Spencer Kieboom and Sean Murphy.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. outofplace

You can tell we are into serious reaching time. I'm sitting here debating among Kevin Pillar, Jose Peraza and Indians 3B prospect Nolan Jones for my next pick, which is due in about an hour.

This is an OPS league, which really hurts Pillar. He also may not have a job once Verdugo gets healthy. Peraza is no sure thing to start, either, but those 2018 numbers look enticing. Jones has power and he walked 96 times last season in Class AA and that was the lowest walk rate of his minor league career so far.

I spent way too much time on this shit.

8. bigpern23

No clear choice there. Is Jones expected to get the call this season? If not, I'd probably lean toward Peraza, but yeah, I don't think it's going to make or break your season.

9. outofplace

We keep five minor league players, so it’s not terrible if some of my prospects stay in the minors for the season. I ended up taking Jones and I still got Pillar later. My goal was to take at least two minor leaguers in the 10-round draft and most of the guys expected to play in 2020 were already owned. Jones has a shot to come up this year, but I'm guessing he only gets a September call and is still a rookie next season. That's fine given that I already have Sean Murphy, Gavin Lux and Carter Kieboom as rookies likely to be in the majors at some point this season, if not opening day. I also drafted Spencer Howard, who could end up getting a call to the Phillies this season. I'm hoping at least Murphy and Lux are starting opening day, then Howard and Jones take their minor league slots.

I was mostly posting to make fun of my own overthinking. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    bigpern23 likes this.
  10. outofplace

Is it just me, or does something always seem to happen when you don't check your roster for a few days, even if it is still Spring Training?

My money league draft is already done and waivers aren't open yet, so I hadn't looked at my team for days. I looked about 20 minutes ago and found out about Trey Mancini leaving the Orioles due to a non-baseball medical issue that will require surgery, which certainly doesn't sound good. My first thought is that I hope the guy is okay. I'm trying not to think too much about the impact on my fantasy team, mostly because I am guessing this is a fairly serious issue.

11. bigpern23

Definitely. I almost blew it and kept Severino in one league because I had selected my keepers a few days early. Fortunately, I remembered to check my keepers on the deadline day and I was able to drop Sevy and keep Soler.

12. outofplace

I always have a list of keepers in mind ahead of time, but check it the day of the deadline for that reason.

There really isn't anything for me to do about the Mancini thing. It just had me frustrated until I realized it sounded like something that could be very serious, which is a hell of a lot bigger deal than my fantasy team.

Draft saved Draft deleted