1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Anyone watching 68 Whiskey on the Paramount Network? It's kind of like M*A*S*H set in Afghanistan with swearing and sex (and not just implied like Hawkeye and the nurses).

Vets hate it because it's nowhere near realistic, but I find it to be a fun watch.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Stumptown got picked up for more episodes early in its run, so, I think its got some staying power. Its ratings have been pretty good, so I think it'll get a second season.

Lincoln Rhyme is... weird. Like, it seems like they buried it on Fridays, but it debuted there. It seems like NBC's attempt at mixing a good, prestige serial with their normal Chicago Schtick, but I'm not a big fan.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Finished off the last three episodes last night and, agreed. Hard to imagine athletes putting so much time into one event, but, wow.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just finished the four seasons of Lucifer, which went a lot faster than I expected because I spent most of the last two days in bed with the flu, so I'm on to my next binge. I will say that I loved the Neil Gaiman cameo, especially after reading how it came about.

I'll probably give The Good Place another shot. I guess I'm on a kick with a theme these days.

6. DanOregon

I don't know if it was that I "knew" the way Season 1 would end and Season 2 is completely fresh to me, but enjoying the second season of Narcos: Mexico more - particulary the El Chapo storyline and really surprised to read more about the people portrayed. What I thought were embellishments, the Sosie Bacon character, the kids playing with the gun at the start of ep. 5 - all true.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Read Don Winslow's Mexico narco trilogy. There are disgusting things in the books, utterly awful and incomprehensible. Based on true events in the Mexican drug war.

Webster likes this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Power of the Dog trilogy is an absolute masterpiece. I can't recommend the series enough.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Strong return for Better Call Saul. Pretty much full Saul now and I'm here for it. Kim Wexler is not taking it well.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading the trilogy. The books were very well written crime novels with a political view. The underlying story, the DEA agent, was so strained. The guy was just a premise to tell all the awful shit going on in Mexico.

I like reading his books, but Winslow isn't subtle. The Power of the Dog trilogy was a string of Cartel stories. Well written, but missing something for me.

11. DanOregon

I really enjoyed the Criminal series Netflix put together, four different shows set in UK, Germany, Spain and Germany, three eps each, all with the same premise and set. One of those shows that really sneaks up on you. All the stories are different and there is a dubbed version for each. The German one was probably my favorite. A good show if you need a "spacer" between shows that require longer commitments.

lakefront likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just FYI, there's a dedicated thread for season 5, just so people don't accidentally run up against spoilers here.

Severian and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted