1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am cool with keepers beginning in 2021

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking of the end of the regular season as the trade deadline.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm good with six keepers, but we need to come up with a system. Do we just keep them and draft normally, or are they slotted into spots the next year? Can we keep them forever or is there a limit? If there is a limit, does their keeper clock start over if they are traded or released?

I have a money league draft at 1 p.m. Pacific on March 15, but I think I can do both at once. That one moves slowly after the first couple of rounds.

4. outofplace

I'm guessing we will do something later in the day if it is the 15th. I'd like to accommodate everybody if I can.

I have to look in to what keeper options Yahoo has. I'm not sure if we slot them into rounds for the following year. If we put a time limit on them, I would think they cock starts over if the player is released, but not if he is traded. That would become part of the strategy for making trades.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Have a great and fun season everyone.

VB

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’d suggest that the clock only starts over if the player is still on waivers the following season. If, for instance, Trout suffers a season-ending injury in May, his owner would be forced to keep him on the roster, otherwise someone else could pick him up with a clean keeper clock.

7. outofplace

That makes sense. I hadn't thought much about the details yet. It does seem we are in agreement on starting keepers in 2021 and I haven't heard any argument with six. Those are the basics. I don't really want to go any deeper until we set our membership, which I plan to do by Wednesday or Thursday.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Since we seem to be doing keepers, can we go up a spot or two with DL spots?

9. outofplace

I just checked and it is an option on the site. We have always gone with two IL spots, which is the default, but we can have up to five. I would actually go with five, especially if we land on only 10 teams. I've never thought a small IL is a particularly good idea. It really screws teams that have the bad luck to be hit with a rash of injuries. I do get that it also means people will be picking up injured guys to stash them, but I'm fine with that trade-off.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  10. outofplace

I did some exploring, and apparently there are tools to edit the draft order. That means we at least have the option of keepers having a cost related to the round in which they were drafted. However, this can get somewhat complex and I'd like to keep things simple. If we really want limits beyond just the number of keepers, I'd prefer to go with limiting the number of years a player can be kept.

The more complex option would be to have a cost in the draft for each keeper and even allow draft picks to be traded. I'm not against such a system. I just have to tell you that I'd really like somebody to step up as a co-commissioner if we're going to do something like that. We would still be fairly low-maintenance during the season, but there is work to be done around this time and right before the draft.

11. outofplace

I heard from the last of the returning owners today. Grand Theft Votto is returning, so we are at 10.

Scout has asked to join. I think staying at 12 members would work well, but we'd have to find one more new member.

Any thoughts on that or suggestions for someone else who might want in?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I can repent further.

Draft saved Draft deleted