1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XFL Week 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Feb 18, 2020.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

My son and his buddy wants to go to the Tampa Bay Vipers game tomorrow. We're going to the Tampa Bay Vipers game tomorrow. He's 12 and he seems to be entertained by it.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The afternoon games don't help, especially when you can stream them any time? Less than stellar football played in weak, watery sunshine - or worse, under dull overcast skies - isn't a positive.

Still two of the games I watched last week were pretty close. That helped.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Listening to the local sportstalk station during a walk this afternoon and an ad for one of the tout services came on hyping his picks for this week's games. "If the playoffs started tomorrow, this would be a 1 vs. 8 game" he said of the LA-Memphis matchup.

Uh, it's week 3, not only of the season, but the whole league?

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That made me think of the successes and failures of the USFL. Teams like Tampa were successful in part because the NFL product was terrible. Meanwhile, the Washington Federals barely had anyone give a crap because the Skins were the Skins.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It was a fun game actually. We had these good seats about 12 rows up on the 45 but the boys saw all the fun the fans were having in the end zones and want to sit there the next time.

All in all it cost me about $17 each for the tickets. Free parking thanks to a friend. $50 for a black hoodie for the boy and the game moved well.

We ended up buying tickets for the March 14 and March 21 game because they were selling them for the equivalent of $15/per.

So it's no less expensive than going to the movies or bowling or doing something else entertaining on a Saturday.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So it's better to play them after dark, when it's windy and cold?

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Well, they're supposed to be tough, no? :)

But seriously, the game looks better when it's under lights. The pissy afternoon light in most of these games is the exact color of depression.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just don't get that at all. Most college and NFL games are played during the day. Football is a daytime sport. It, like most outdoor sports, looks a million times better in daylight than at night.
    Maybe it's just the general late winter gloom that is bothering you.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There's some fat guys in Texas who suddenly feel the urge to wear their lettermans and don't know why.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cool. I'd actually much rather go to D.C. to catch a game live to watch it on TV. Would be a fun experience.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hahaha. What is the name of that movie/TV show again? "Friday Afternoon Sunshine." Uh, no, "Friday Night Lights."

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fair enough.
    The fact remains that Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon are filled with football -- played in bright sunshine. Eighty percent of all NFL games and probably 70 percent of all college games are played during the day. Guys start out playing under "Friday Night Lights," but they're dreaming of someday playing on Sunday afternoon.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted