1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was 4 months into the season.

The trade was based on statistics after 4 months of the season, not just OMG BRYANT & AROLDIS! SUPERSTARS FOR SQUAT!!!1!!!

Hicks was having a better 4 months than Bryant, who was playing hurt. I was willing to take that on for 2 months.

Hick continued to have a strong season. I lost Bryant for 5 weeks the day after I got him.

Chapman wasn't going to make or break things but might give me a few more saves.

And there was no "side agreement" ... we both wanted to make trades in both leagues.

2. Tet Corporation will be back

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent. Grand Theft Votto is the only owner we have not heard from yet.

My apologies for disappearing in the middle of all the back and forth. I've got the flu, so I haven't been on the board much since early afternoon yesterday.

4. outofplace

Update: I've given everybody the opportunity to chime in and I even sought advice from the guys in my money league. I would have done this through the league site and PMs, but Songbird decided that wasn't going to happen.

I have decided that both Songbird and Vombatus will not be allowed to return to our league. In the case of Vombatus, that was a difficult decision. He did come forward with the truth and he even brought up the idea of having neither of them return before I did. That said, he engaged in what I consider to be cheating and when I asked about it at the time, he became confrontational, lied and insisted on an apology for the accusation.

Songbird, on the other hand, made it easy. He doesn't even believe he did anything wrong and would clearly do it again. His belligerent just proved he wouldn't be worth a second chance even if I felt one was deserved. I'm not fully convinced that was the only time he did anything shady, but even if it was, that was enough. Being competitive and active is important to any fantasy league, whether there is money involved or not, but so is integrity. If you don't have that, there is no reason for a free league to exist.

I'm sure Songbird will be along to make fun of the way I'm handling this, but that's fine. I've been through fantasy baseball league drama before and the commissioner in that case failed to be transparent. That left a lot of resentment. I'm not going to be that guy. I'll err on the side of transparency.

We are currently at nine confirmed owners for 2020. Grand Theft Votto has until Tuesday to respond before I start looking for a replacement. We've already had one board member express an interest, so we should be good to go with at least 10. If anybody else is interested, we can go with up to 12. We do have to have an even number and it is first-come, first-served.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oop. That’s a fair approach.

And Songbird just removed me from NIAFL without input from me or other league members.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Retaliation, another sign of integrity:

18795524-CA87-45B3-B5D4-EC9471389954.jpeg

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I almost think 10 is enough. Maybe the idea of streaming Colorado's No. 5 pitcher for a mid-July start is fun for some, but not as much for me.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've played fantasy sports for 20 years. This is the first time someone used a personal beef to settle the score.

If there's "retaliation" it's not on my end and this really had nothing to do with Tradeghazi '18.

I'll leave it at that. Try to have fun in whatever league you join.

LOL, I've been at SJ for 17 years and this is the funniest barn that tis no pool.

9. outofplace

I don't mind 10, though 12 isn't insane. There are still viable options on the wire and 12 makes it a little tougher to go nuts with the streaming. My money league is 15 teams with a deeper bench and five minor league spots. That waiver wire is a serious wasteland.

10. outofplace

You keep pointing the finger everywhere but where it belongs. You weren't removed because of a flaw in this league. You weren't removed due to a personal beef, though I have no doubt that is why Vombatus spoke up. You were removed due to your own actions. You had your say. I hope you will leave it at that so we can get back to preparing for the upcoming season. Thank you.

11. outofplace

With that bit of unpleasantness out of the way, we should move on to the discussions at hand. I'm hoping to have our final set of owners set by the middle of next week, but it seems we have to major points of discussion. One is the draft date. I'm still trying to see if anybody can't do March 15. I can start looking for alternative dates if necessary.

The other issue is keepers. I believe the recent shakeup in ownership is just another reason not to keep players from our 2019 teams for 2020, but I think it would be a great idea to commit to keepers going forward. I propose that we draft fresh for this season and go forward with six keepers for 2021 and beyond. I know there has been some mention of three keepers, but I don't think that will spark much trading. Most people can find three keepers. When you get to six, there is going to be more motivation for teams out of the race to build up their keeper list for the following season.

Thoughts?

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm cool with keepers. Six sounds fine with me. We should have as late a trade deadline as possible, if that's the case.

March 15 is fine, also, as long as it's after noon EST.

Draft saved Draft deleted