1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Simplest Life Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. Even at my best, Wednesday was my limit.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I didn’t say finish . . .

I always do through Wednesday, am about 50/50 on Thursday-Friday, never do Saturday and have been on a good roll on Sunday. That being said, I do it on the app and will check the Sunday one once I’m stuck.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was going to say my morning whizz.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

First choice: A day spent reading a book on my Kindle. That tablet is the most-used, most valued/liked item that I own.

Second choice: A day spent sitting on a beach. I'm another one of those who loves the sound and smell of the ocean. Related to that, though much more costly and not exactly simple (until you get there): sitting out on deck, or on the balcony, in the middle of the ocean, on a cruise ship.

I don't drink coffee at all, outside of very occasionally during a holiday after-dinner dessert serving. But, based on the responses here, it seems like I might have to try some in the morning!

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Doing a crossword or sudoku the old-fashioned way, with a pencil on the kitchen table. As I get older, I find it an excellent way to exercise my mind and keep it sharp. The trick is finding one of those Dell puzzle books that isn't so easy to where it gets boring, but not so hard to where I throw down my pencil and say "I can't do this shit."
    Also, just enjoying a good book and the satisfaction when I finish a really good story. Getting shocked by a good twist is an added bonus.
    And, also just enjoying the ocean. I'm lucky in that I live pretty much on the coast, so I can drive a short way and just observe the waves and get that peaceful feeling. When I go down to Santa Barbara and LA, I take that stretch down the 101 that's right on the ocean, and I always have to sneak looks over at the water when I'm behind the wheel. And I remind myself to never, ever take that for granted.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Getting a random “hello” from an old friend or an “I love you” from Mrs. jlee or a relative in the middle of a busy day.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

YOU TOO?!?

rb

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

There's something really nice about doing laundry early on a warm spring Saturday morning then letting the sheets hang on the clothesline all day and finally going to sleep on clean sheets that have been blowing in the wind all day. That smell....

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember it well. We'd use the clotheslines, draped with linens, as a half-ass fence for wiffle ball games.

Another good feeling is doing work outside and being able to smell the goodness of the dryer from the vent.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  10. YourFace

YourFace New Member

I loved doing laundry when my kids were little and the whole house smelled like Dreft.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Taking an afternoon nap, either with the windows open on a spring day, or, during the winter (windows closed), while it’s snowing outside under a warm blanket.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first day of a weeklong vacation trip, when you've arrived at your destination and you have nothing but time and possibilities in front of you. Bonus points if you get there a little early and steal a few extra hours.

Cutting the grass on a summer day, when it's just you, the mower and some good music. Then finishing and admiring you handiwork -- the pretty, close-cropped grass and the feeling of a job well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted