1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's the PGA Tour. The PGA is a separate organization based in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and the governing body for club and teaching professionals. It also runs the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup. Try to keep up.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who knows what he thinks at the moment he wins. Probably that he got a lot of perks, led by the Masters. But you can bet your ass that in July, after the third round of the John Deere, he's checking to see how many points he's ahead of the No. 125 bubble.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that Fed Ex shit is so popular that the tour turned the schedule on its ass to get it all in before Lord Football starts.

Tennis player Pete Sampras once said, "nobody cares who won Philadelphia". Regardless of how many times the Tour rams the Fed Ex down my throat, I still consider the Fed Ex playoffs as "Philadelphia".

BitterYoungMatador2 and JC like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fine. But you'd be wrong. And they turned the schedule around because the players wanted it. It would have happened with or without a playoff format. The players still run the Tour.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And by the way, the majors are the ultimate goal but they don't always insure guys of their jobs. There's a past Masters champion (Mike Weir) who's playing on the Korn Ferry Tour because he's lost his PGA Tour status.

6. poindexter

I swear to god this happened on sunday. One of my best friends was in town for a couple of days. We are watching the golf, and he is just a moderate golf fan. Plays a couple times a year, knows all the players, not bored watching the final round with me.

At one point sunday afternoon, he asks me, why are they showing the guy who is in 17th place? (I don't recall the exact number)

I had to explain to him that was his Fed Ex ranking, that the player was in 3rd place (or whatever) at Riviera. My friend just goes "what the fuck"

Maybe I will get Hondo to explain it to him.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did your friend ever say, "they gave a guy 3 points for making a basket. What the fuck?"
    Times change. Sports tweak their rules and conditions of competition. It's not an existential crisis.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hondo the progressive.

9. poindexter

I turned it off after Adam Scott sank the putt to win.

Did Balionis ask about his Fed Ex points?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If the Tour made CBS, which means the producer in the truck was in Balionis' ear about it.

The Kostis anecdote drove that home ... and it didn't surprise me. The PGA Tour has become as bad as NASCAR ... not a good thing.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The updated FedExCup standings get a full screen at the end of every tournament, and that's fine. But it's not unreasonable to think it's a bit ridiculous for the winner on the 18th green, all emotional immediately after a win, to be asked about the points. Especially early in the season. It makes for lousy TV, which is the basis of all this.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll respond to your comment right after I go fill up with Sunoco fuel.

Draft saved Draft deleted