1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Allentown and Saigon were good songs. Nothing about them feels forced.

Still packs an emotional punch.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1980-83 Islanders or 1984-88 Oilers?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't follow hockey, but I know enough to know this one. Oilers, easy unless Billy Smith was going to beat up their top 4 forwards.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Oilers, primarily because they won The Cup again in '94 as The New York Rangers.

FileNotFound and Songbird like this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

One of the knocks on S
    since everyone is going oilers, I will take islanders because they were a much more balanced team and, completely off memory , seemed to have less player turnover. The first oilers squad and the last one with Gretzky were different teams almost. The 1990 team was even more different.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a criticism of Joel or a complement that he's able to write songs that seemed targeted to the times. To me, 52nd St. was his best. But it was always stirring to see him have local Vietnam Vets singing the chorus of Goodnight Saigon live.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I've been sick of anything on Greatest Hits for a long time. I never liked some of his "classics" like NY State of Mind or Just the Way You Are. I think Turnstiles & Glasshouses are him at his best and that We Didn't Start the Fire might be the worst pop song of all time, which says a lot.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

OK, the first question on this was preposterous. Let's get a better G&R comparison.

Guns & Roses or Nirvana?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Empty Garden

UNCGrad likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Foreigner or Aerosmith?

11. YourFace

YourFace New Member

Musically, Guns ‘n Roses.

Lyrically, Nirvana.

In terms of cultural impact, a tie.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always liked Nikita and this one from 80s and beyond Elton. Always wished I saw the Elton and Joel combined shows - this sounds like an late 80s Joel Song.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted