1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Biden definitely seems to have more fight in him tonight than we saw the last few weeks.

2. bigpern23

The GOP guy on the CNN panel made a good point: This debate may have been seen by 4, 6, 8 million people. Bloomberg is showing ads to a hundred million people.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Which is why I wanted to see Bloomberg on the stage, so see how he'd react. Does not sound good at all.

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

All the clips of him getting eviscerated by Warren will get some views in the coming days, too.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

It wasn't. I was really interested in this debate to see him. My brother-in-law, a Harvard-educated-smart-SOB, told me not to sleep on Bloomberg and my interest in his candidacy was piqued. Tonight blew him the hell out of the water for me.

garrow and Driftwood like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My thoughts:

Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg were both impressive. I've always liked Warren and thought she might be good, but I'm not sure she can win the nomination. Buttigieg has grown on me, but I'm not sure he can win the nomination, either (although I'm beginning to think he should).

Bernie Sanders has points I agree with, and if he were younger, I think he would win the nomination, and beat Trump. I do wish he'd stop treating wealth, and the word "billionaire," like it's a curse word. It becomes repetitive rhetoric after a while, and is off-putting. And let's face it, we all would be billionaires if we could be, wouldn't we? I won't hold anybody's wealth against them just for the sake of doing it, even if I do think wealth is best shared, and spread around.

Was I the only one who thought Biden should, um, stop yelling? I mean, all the others raised their voices and sounded loud sometimes in making points, but Biden sounded, and looked, like he was just yelling at somebody. There was an edge of desperation in the way he performed.

I was interested to see and hear from Bloomberg, but wasn't exactly impressed or won over in this debate. He seemed a bit wooden. He's so focused on Trump, and only on Trump, and beating him and getting him out -- which I get, and he's actually right to be that way if he's going to run as a Democrat. But it made it so I don't think anybody got any "feel" for him. He didn't show or share enough of himself, I don't think, to win anybody over who either didn't know him, or wanted to know more. His best moment, in my opinion, was when he showed some real anger and pointed out -- rightly, in my opinion -- how Trump was probably only gaining confidence in his chances of re-election from watching this debate.

Oh, one more thing: The candidates all looked like school kids desperately wanting the teacher to call on them, what with their hands raised all night, hoping to be the ones to speak next. The moderators needed to control things better, and the candidates needed to know and be confident that they would do so.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    TigerVols likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Which ones do you feel to be the serious liberals and which the clowns?

lakefront likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Bloomberg has always been awful in the debate setting. He won’t get better. How will it affect him with his giant ad buys? I have no idea.

Warren and Pete were clearly the best tonight. Bernie didn’t really take any big hits, which is all he needed to do.

Biden was solid. But he has to be surprisingly strong in Nevada and win big in SC to be revived.

Moderates need to start winnowing the field. Amy doesn’t have a shot. Biden fading. Pete still a wild card. Bloomberg still not on the ballot for the next two contests.

I dunno. Maybe a Warren-Pete unity ticket curbs Bernie.

But it’s pretty apparent Bernie will have the most delegates and it will be a brokered convention. And that will be insane.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's why I'm thinking there will be a ton of pressure on various moderates to dump out ahead of Super Tuesday - four of them, Bernie and Bloomberg could leave moderates with only a handful of delegates if they each take 13 percent of the vote or so.
    Like I've told several Bernie friends - if the DNC and "the establishment" was "controlling" this - don't you think they'd be doing a better job?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bloomberg really should have started with a joke: "I wasn't expecting a welcome basket on my podium, but..." And if he did one thing, he should have communicated that yes, he's wealthy, he's been fortunate in business, but he has always tried to do the right thing in his companies and while mayor of New York - and yes - he made some bad decisions - but he's not running out of vanity, but because he truly cares about this country and thinks he's the best person to stop Donald Trump from getting a second term.
    But he didn't even do that.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Warren commented on CNN afterward that she was shocked how underprepared Bloomberg was for the attacks. It aided her argument that he’s not serious about his run and won’t be prepared to take on Trump if for some reason he were to get the nomination.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Warren has a way of befuddling smart people, a mark of her own intelligence.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.