1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd think if you had 40 cars that weren't identical, then you wouldn't have the draft and you'd have separation. Except Nascar doesn't seem to be interested in undoing the spec series that has been in place for 20 years. But if you could somehow space the cars out then you'd have a chance at policing the bump drafting, which is just so absurd. You hear Gordon and McMurray talking Sunday/Monday about what it's like to be whacked in the rear bumper and how you grip the wheel tighter and hope -- how the hell does that make any sense? Blaney said after the race that "the bumpers got hooked up wrong" ... well, no shit. (Newman also came down to block him, which is another issue.) Bumpers shouldn't be hooking up to begin with, but that's the racin' deal at those two tracks. Next Daytona race will be the last one before the playoffs, so just spin the roulette wheel to see who gets in.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. That's a danged miracle.
    2. Engineers who designed those cars are amazing.
    3. Why the hell doesn't he have on shoes!?!

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

One way to cut down on these is to eliminate the Green/White-Checker.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was about to ask the exact same thing. I'm certain he can afford a pair.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe his feet are tougher than he is.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't know they had gone back to unlimited attempts until they were happening on Monday. Jeez, Nascar, save these guys from themselves.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Never been to the Daytona 500 (or any NASCAR race) but I took a tour of Daytona International Speedway last year and got to see Denny Hamlin's winning car at the museum there. I was rooting for Hamlin this year and am glad Newman is ok.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hell, Newman walked out of the hospital today.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The shoes he was wearing with his firesuit got messed up and no one thought to bring him any?

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he obviously wasn't wearing jeans and t-shirt when he arrived.

Draft saved Draft deleted