1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why are you bothering to play in a free league? Why are you bothering to break the rules in a free league? What's the satisfaction here?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Break the rules meaning using parts of oop's PM here.

And there was no cheating vis-a-vis the trades. We both wanted to make trades in leagues that rarely see trades go down.

There wasn't a single trade in NIAFL last season and only the one trade in '18.

I can't remember if there was in oop's league. If there were, not many.

3. bigpern23

I wasn't in the league back then and don't know what the trades were, but I will submit that it is unfair to the other managers in one league to make a deal involving players from another league. I'm not in the NIAFL, so someone like Vombatus would have the advantage of having double the number of players to entice you to make a deal with him compared to what I have.

The lack of trades doesn't justify making such a deal.

That said, the lack of trades last year is why I think making it a keeper league is a good idea. There's no incentive for teams that are out of the hunt to make a trade. And teams that are contending aren't likely to trade with each other. Having keepers will incentivize trading.

4. Songbird

But that's silly because trades rarely happen as it is. And he and I made the NIAFL trade doable enough.

I got Bryant and Chapman. He got Hicks, Heaney, and Romine. Trade happened July 24.

Bryant then went on the DL for 5 weeks. He came back September 1 and in the final month had 2 homers, 8 RBIs.

Chapman had 6 saves in 16 appearances for me from July 25 till the end of the regular season.

For Vombatus, from July 25 onward ...

* Hicks had 11 homers and 36 RBIs.
    * Heaney went 3-4, nothing special, but still 3 wins including against the Astros.
    * Romine had 4 homers and 14 RBIs.

So yeah, totes lopsided.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You both admitted the two deals were connected. That is collusion. End of story.

6. outofplace

Also, I really don't care about the use of PMs. I thought it was worth pointing out to help put things in context.

7. Songbird

"Deals were connected" ... lol I've known a lot of funny guys in my life but you are definitely top of the heap.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If one deal hinges in a deal on another league it’s complete horseshit. They are two separate entities.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. Songbird

Nothing HINGED on anything.

One good faith trade was rejected by oop. The other good faith trade went thru.

I didn't say to Vombatus, Welp, mately our dastardly plan failed us so I'm pulling Aaron Hicks off the table!

And to another really stupid point, who the fuck cares if a league is free or paid?

The righteous knots some of you tie yourselves into is amazing. Oh my gosh, they tried trading in FREE LEAGUES! lol

10. Songbird

Anyway, do whatever you have to do, oop, I don't give a shit.

Besides Sterling Silver, myself, and 1 or 2 others, people go to sleep after draft day.

If that's the kind of league you want, fine. Mah nishtana halilah hazeh ...

11. outofplace

I didn’t veto that trade. It was voted down by the league. Stop lying to cover for your cheating.

12. bigpern23

I mean, you're not really trying to defend getting Kris Bryant and Aroldis Chapman for Hicks, Heaney and Romine, are you? Even if the results themselves didn't end up lopsided, that's about as lopsided a swap of talent as there is. A backup catcher, an oft-injured fourth outfielder and a guy with nearly a 5.00 ERA for an elite closer and a top 6 or 7 third baseman is practically felony burglary.

EDIT: I should note, that I generally lean towards not vetoing trades on the basis of owner stupidity. So, if that's all there was to the trade, then I would not vote against it. If, however, there was a side agreement that you'd accept an equally lopsided trade in Vombatus's favor in another league, that is, indeed, bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted