1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If they get rid of Uncle Verne, people will riot in the mean streets of Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Frank Chirkinian has to be rolling in his grave.
    And somewhere, Gary McCord has a pitch-perfect one-liner response.

A North Carolina native and one of the good guys. Poor move, CBS. Do better.
    Of course, some of his fans could have accused CBS of making too much of topping a drive. But Harold is a pro and has big shoulders. The guess here is he would be fine with it.

3. Sam Mills 51

Now ... why would Fox do that? Since when have they done anything correct or well since winning the USGA contract?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bacon and Faxon are excellent and Fox making them a second anchor booth was both smart and showed that Buck didn’t have such a big ego that he had to run the whole show (looking at you, Jim Nantz). Duping Norman after year one and putting Zinger in the booth instead is a HOF upgrade. Fox is the entire reason we have shot tracer from the fairway now, not just off the tee. Literally every innovation that came in golf coverage in the last five years is because Fox did it. Their live drone shots at Pebble (never done before) were awesome. Fox’s first year was bad. They’ve been really good ever since but people keep pretending like it’s the same product it was at Chambers Bay.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fox is a breath of fresh air on golf, it's not their fault that a few of their U.S. Opens have been plagued by USGA goofiness.

Chef2 likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

I will backtrack and admit that Fox can be just as big a victim by USGA's idiocy as the viewers. And the technological advances have helped, but the pacing and the way in which they run their broadcasts is still unimpressive to put it mildly. NBC has improved if for no reason than Comcast also running Golf Channel ... they've had plenty of chances to refine the process.

CBS used to be the gold standard, but Frank Chirkinian retired and the Tiffany has become stale and cheap judging by its recent moves (in which they'll try to claim they addressed it, but recent performances indicate the polar opposite). Adding Dottie Pepper a few years ago was a great idea ... knows when to speak her mind, understands humor and otherwise keeps the broadcast rolling along without a hitch. Not renewing McCord, especially in light of David Feherty being lured away by NBC, is a problem. McCord could add color - literally - to an otherwise weak broadcast.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree on Fox. I wasn't on board and that first year at Chambers Bay was an absolute abortion. But give them credit, they recognized their massive shortcomings, made huge changes and their coverage of the Open has been top-notch ever since. Too bad they didn't land the PGA contract last year.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fox also has been great in its coverage of the USGA's other championships. You would have never seen the Mid-Amateur or the Women's Amateur get a sniff of TV time before. As someone who works in amateur golf, I certainly appreciate the fact that I got to watch one of our players competing in the U.S. Women's Am quarterfinals a couple of years back.

maumann, Double Down and playthrough like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. poindexter

btw, the guys on the podcast No Laying Up just evicserated the CBS coverage at Riviera.

I will back down from defending the CBS coverage because warts and all, I see no difference between them and the NBC crew. i will pay more attention to the NBC coverage during the florida tour.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm listening to their interview with Peter Kostis at work right now. Fifteen minutes in, it's great. He doesn't hold back.

12. poindexter

For the record, the CBS talk is on the 2-16 pod, the Kostis interview is 2-18. I will listen to tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted