1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Force Awakens" (with SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Allegedly the new trilogy is going to be all-new characters. But nothing is set in stone at this point, either.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I imagine there’s another story to be told about Lando and the girl, maybe on Disney+?

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Unless they have a major change in leadership, I doubt they can resist giving Daisy Ridley all the money to be in another movie. (Not that I'm opposed to that.) Like, I think they'll do it like 7 again, where it's mostly a new cast of characters but they try to weave in the older folks. Butttt, if you don't kill enough of them off or ache too much for that sentimentality, then it's just kind of a mess.

4. bigpern23

I think the end of the "Skywalker Saga" should give them more freedom to simply make the movies they want to make going forward. There's no reason Star Wars can't follow a similar model to the MCU and do some great storytelling with movies that are different in style and tone, yet weave together with strong narrative threads.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rogue One was a step in that direction. It had some humor, but it was also a darker tone than the original trilogy.

6. bigpern23

I know Solo bombed, but I'm surprised it made them scrap the entire idea of the anthology films for now. An Obi-Wan movie (or series) sounds fantastic. A Lando film is fertile territory for storytelling. A Poe Dameron film, filling in his backstory would be interesting. There's plenty of characters and stories they can explore.

It's especially surprising because Solo really wasn't as bad as it was made out to be before it was released. I actually thought it was pretty fun, even if Ehrenreich wasn't strong as Han. Give me more Donald Glover as Lando, and I'm all in.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was figuring there is more to be told in the Poe and whatever the female bounty hunter played by Keri Russell was. It might also be interesting to develop more characters that aren't parallels to previous characters.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

9 basically has like, all these different pockets of characters that would be awesome to develop with Disney Ploos shows. I'm sure Billy Dee would be happy to take that money, but Disney would have to significantly back up the Brinks truck to get like, Keri Russell and Oscar Issac, to sign up.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I also thought "Solo" was better than anticipated, or advertised.

10. outofplace

There really is only one Han Solo. Here he is promoting a movie that looks terrible, answering questions about his career (including Star Wars), and playing with puppies. I don't know why I found this amusing, but I did.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I liked it too. And even before reading about it on the internet, it was obvious that it had been ripped out of the director's hands at some point. I can sit back and imagine what a fantastic film it was before all the re-shoots and hurried edits.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. outofplace

Draft saved Draft deleted