1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XFL Week 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Feb 18, 2020.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Houston Roughnecks at Tampa Bay Vipers
    • Odds: Roughnecks -5.5
    • Over/Under: 47
    • Time: 2 p.m. ET on Saturday
    • TV Channel: ABC
    Dallas Renegades at Seattle Dragons
    • Odds: Renegades -4.5
    • Over/Under: 44.5
    • Time: 5 p.m. ET on Saturday
    • TV Channel: FOX
    New York Guardians at St. Louis BattleHawks
    • Odds: BattleHawks -7.5
    • Over/Under: 42
    • Time: 3 p.m. ET on Sunday
    • TV Channel: ESPN
    DC Defenders at Los Angeles Wildcats
    • Odds: Defenders -7
    • Over/Under: 45.5
    • Time: 6 p.m. ET on Sunday
    • TV Channel: FS1

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I saw about three minutes of one of the games last weekend. Dudes were slow, and QBs were only slightly more accurate than I would be.

Pass.

I’ll wait for the real games to start in the fall.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ohhh, #HotTake. Thanks ... scortching!

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Are you disagreeing with what he said? Pretty dead-on. I've seen three games that ranged from barely watchable to hot garbage.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

XFL 2.0 is minor league football; they know it; just about everyone knows it. Expecting it to compare to major league football is a guaranteed path to disappointment.

If you can enjoy a minor league baseball game at the AA level, you should be able to find a way to enjoy XFL 2.0. If you can only enjoy the very best, nothing that XFL 2.0 can possibly do will satisfy you.

Batman likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll admit that it's been easily digestible background noise in my house the first two weekends. That counts for something.

7. PCLoadLetter

I love minor league baseball. Used to go to single A short season games all the time. It's about as low level as you get and it was a blast.

I think minor league hockey is more fun to watch than the NHL.

The XFL is ponderous, man. A ton of bells and whistles showcasing a game between guys who can't play worth a damn and are gonna be back driving the UPS van in a few weeks. The broadcasts make it feel like made-for-TV "American Gladiators" bullshit. At least minor leagues have some small time charm. This is just big money corporate mediocrity.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That’s a little unfair. A lot of these guys played in the big 5 conferences. The fact they are gonna be back at UPS is what makes them play that much harder. A $2k bonus for winning a game actually means something to them. I like the access the game gives to the play calling. I watched both games the first Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. Beats watching hockey or mid tier college hoops, which are the alternatives right now.

9. PCLoadLetter

And I would counter that watching mediocre players play hard just isn't that entertaining. And the play calling isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be.

I totally agree that the lack of competition helps. If my choice is watching Matt McGloin throw the ball into the turf or watch college basketball, I'm probably going with McGloin.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One thing I am wondering is how long it takes for the XFL's first cheating scandal to unfold from that access. Surely some team will have someone watching the game on TV and figure out a way to quickly relay an opponent's play calls to their guys on the field. If coaches guard their mouths so they can't have their lips read, then actual crystal clear audio of a play call would be an asset, right?

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

But that would be cheating. They wouldn't do that.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only with drums [/crossthread]

Draft saved Draft deleted