1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, no. I just watched enough of both guys. That was the tough part with Sanders. He would do nothing or lose yards on many of his carries, then explode for a huge gain. If Payton was in trouble, more often than not, he would just put his head down and power his way as far as he could get.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Payton made it to the finals of Soul Train. If that doesn’t clinch it, Payton went over 2000 yards from scrimmage four times, and over 1500 10 times. It is two and nine for Sanders. Though, Payton missed once because of the 82 strike, while sanders missed in 1992 when he was out for five games.

Payton was definitely a more complete back.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, they really aren’t.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I loved watching Sanders but Sweetness was the much more complete back, blocking, receiving and as said above a steadier yardage gainer. Its such a shame that the Fridge gets a TD but Sweetness did not in the Super Bowl. And damn shame we lost him so early.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Payton. Easy.

Barry Sanders had a lot more, "holy sh_t, how did he get out of that?" moments.

The better back? Payton.
    The tougher back? Payton.
    The better receiver? Payton.
    The better blocker? Payton ... by a mile.

There might not have been a more complete back, and I know that will enrage the Jim Brown Club.

Two of my favorite backs - ever. Without question.

But, in this "debate," it's Walter Payton. Without question.

I Should Coco and Batman like this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Lovable losers...

Tarkington or Kelly

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why? Sanders had a much better YPC, led the league in rushing 4 times to 1, and didn't fumble nearly as much. I'll grant you, Payton was a better receiver and blocker, that's irrefutable. But as a pure RB, I'll take Sanders.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fran was so much fun to watch, especially in 70’s staid NFL.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I never saw Tarkington play, but Kelly and the K-gun offense in Buffalo were a breath of fresh air. I know the Bungles had deployed it, but the Bills went full tilt and Kelly basically called the whole game. I wish they'd go back to that; drop the offensive coordinators, the mikes into the helmets, and make these guys actually call the plays. Hell, a lot of QBs aren't even allowed to audible. Kelly did it every damn play. I guess that's what Tark and his generation did, too, but I never saw it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Kelly without a doubt.

Look at the arm strength on the deep ball in the early years - the ball would leave the picture screen.

The Bills were running a play every 18 seconds in real time. That doesn't just take planning but it requires everybody being in top shape.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Van Halen or Van Hagar?

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Halen

Hagar is closer to Cher than Halen.

Draft saved Draft deleted