1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure any fan ever had tried to take a trash can lid into a ballpark before this year, but they'll soon be coming by the hundreds.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Given the way players around the league are reacting, I really don’t think the electronic cheating is as widespread as some have suggested. These guys seem really genuinely pissed. And I don’t think they’d be this vocal if it was a case of every team — or even most teams — doing it.

maumann, Inky_Wretch and TigerVols like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Can you - or anyone else - imagine if Gary Bettman said the same about the Stanley Cup? That would be one way for the boos to get louder in the more traditional markets ... if they can get much louder, that is.

maumann likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to be cynical, but if I was on a team doing this that hadn't been outed yet, indignation would be a tempting response to the Astros. How many Western TV episodes and movies have there been where the guy leading the lynch mob is the real killer. And there remain any number of teams where the subject hasn't been brought up (yet) by players.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Once Manfred offered immunity in exchange for testimony/information, his punishment limits were set. Now, he must not renege on that promise or all Hell will break loose on the "player discipline front" well beyond this scandal.

There are so many examples of "cheating" in the history of MLB that it seems naïve to me to believe that the Astros and Red Sox were the only teams trying to do this and that none of the other 28 teams ever got to the point of recognizing the potential here and giving it a try...

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I saw Passan on PTI the other day and while was a little rough around the edges...he was pretty damn good.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who is going to keep the stats on Astros getting beaned? And does Vegas have a line on it yet?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Over/under is 83.5. Honest. Saw it on ESPN site.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great work by the William Hill bookies in the desert. A couple of teams have exceeded that number in recent years (without being in the midst of a scandal), so it's not necessarily some crazy-inflated number. And a pitch thrown behind a guy wouldn't count, gotta figure that will happen a few times. Watch the actual number come in at 83 or 84, because Vegas knows all.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have to say, I was surprised MLB announced the Astros' penalties before they completed the Red Sox investigation, and it appears that was a huge mistake. The Astros are all anyone can talk about right now. And whenever this stuff dies down, MLB is going to have to come out and announce the results of the Red Sox investigation and spark it up all over again. Better to just take all the heat at once and get on with it.

This is going to remain a story through the All-Star Break, I'd bet. Maybe all season. And all because of the ham-handed way MLB (and, to a lesser extent, the Astros) are handling it.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree. One bad press conference broke any chance of this fading.

I like less and less I see of Rob Manfred. The guy needs to get it together or fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted