1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hiking has shown some growth in the past few years. It was at 15.9 percent in 2018, up from 10.8 in 2007. Running was most popular (19.2) followed by fishing (16.4), cycling (15.9) and hiking and then camping (13.9).

The rise of all-encompassing travel ball probably hurts Scouting too.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I once slept in my Cub Scout uniform, I was so excited for the meeting the next day. That excitement ended with my first BS meeting, and I never went back.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At the Catholic grade school I was at we probably had six kids who were enrolled as Cub Scouts in the early years. Then puberty hit and that shit went away real fast.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The hypercompetitiveness of the Pinewood Derby chased me off. Who needs that shit at age 8.

exmediahack and TowelWaver like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What’s interesting is how current Girl Scouts are pushing girls away from the traditional barefoot in the kitchen to being independent with math and science knowledge.

Unsure if Boy Scouts are peddling outdated thoughts.

And South Park nailed this about 15 years ago.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Amen, well said.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I finished dead last in the Pinewood Derby--by far, other cars were crossing the finish line as mine was only halfway down the ramp--as I had no aptitude for woodworking or crafting of any kind (and my dad tried to help, bless him). I was in tears the whole way home and never did that again.

My other boy scout ordeal was literally the "Ordeal" (Order Of The Arrow initiation). Anyone who has done it knows you spend the night outdoors under the stars, do a day of labor with minimal provisions, then at the end you're supposed to celebrate with a huge banquet. Oh, and you're not allowed to speak a whole word during the whole multi-day affair, until the banquet, or else you'll fail the ordeal.

So I'm out in the South Texas summer heat, wrapping up a day of cutting cedar trees, when I finally finished up and regrouped with my dad. He had to go meet with the other scoutmasters for some business before he could go to the banquet, so he left me with another troop with people I didn't really know to head to the banquet several miles away on the other side of the scout reservation. Unfortunately, for reasons to this day unknown, this other troop ditched me, and I trudged along in silence while being passed by every pickup truck full of scouts driving to the banquet. I wanted to ask each one for help or a ride but all I could do was look plaintively to no avail, until after awhile no more trucks were to be seen at all.

I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to do, just being a not-too-bright teen who thought I couldn't break silence yet and that maybe this all was still part of the ordeal. Finally after over an hour of walking in 90-100 degree temps all by myself, I happened upon a trailer in the middle of the reservation and thought to myself, "F this" and started banging desperately on the door. A man emerged in the doorway, and I explained to him what was going on, that I was so sorry and I wasn't supposed to be talking yet to the best of my knowledge, but I was lost, hot and tired; and had no idea where I was going and could he please help me? That man, God bless him as he probably saved my life, drove me over to the banquet site where my dad and the other scouts were, the rest of them carrying on happily and cluelessly. My dad, to his credit, had some words for the other leaders, but it was really too late as the damage was done. I quit scouting more or less immediately after that. And to this day I hate camping and the outdoors.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A 1st and 2nd place finish. 1st was based on a Ferarri 308. 2nd was a Hot Wheels Large Charge (below). I didn't get a writeup in the paper. Y'all muthafuckas cost me a Pinewood Derby scholarship.

[​IMG]

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

For me it was either sports or scouts. That was really a no-brainer.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I hate the Pinewood Derby. The Scouts who do well did not do the cars themselves. At all. It's their parents, and likely dads. I am not handy at all and so my kids, who have designed and mostly built outside power tools their cars on their own, end up disappointed when they don't do well. We're on like our 14th car as a family so we've all figured out some ways to get them to go faster without being ridiculously handy or crafty. Had several make the pack finals now and one made districts. But still pretty far from the top. And I refuse to watch YouTube videos or anything else. I let the kids design and make their cars and we all live and learn.

I had a good experience in Scouts for the most part. There were some things I didn't like (I saw several friends get pushed through to Eagle without actually doing much whereas I didn't get the same treatment, although I didn't want it still pissed me off some got the easy path). One friend was assaulted initiation style by another older scout when we first joined and to my troop's credit, it was handled very well and the older scout wasn't involved again. I loved camping at all times of year and the experiences I got to do that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

My kids love it now, two older boys in Scouts and a third still in Cub Scouts. I hate being in it for some reason as a leader. It's a big drain on my time and don't know why I keep doing it, but do it for the kids. The program is still similar to when I was in it 30 years ago, but I think on the base it's a good program. Still too much religion for me but our troop and pack lets families handle that on their own for the most part. The life skills are obvious and important and they still get to do a lot of things they might not otherwise do. Love seeing my 13-year-old enjoy things like winter camping and want to do it more. Not for everyone, but he wouldn't get to even know that he likes it if he wasn't in Scouts.

I feel Scouting has taken the right steps. Now that LDS is gone they need to fully integrate girls. I have seen lots of enthusiasm from girls and think that's great. I haven't seen any boys care that they are there. The youth protection protocols are good. The two-deep thing works well, although I am sure there can still be abuses, and the youth protection training is pretty thorough. Overall I think it is a good organization and have no problems with my kids being in it. I do think they are trying to grow in the right ways, but it might be too little too late. You can't ignore these past things for sure.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When I was cubmaster for my kid's pack, I told "judges" for the Pinewood Derby best car award to pick cars the scout had obviously touched. You could tell. The dads who did all the work didn't like it but we had some happy scouts. Dads provide guidance, kids do the work. Not that hard.

I gave up Boy Scouts as a "Life" because it just wasn't cool anymore - my mother went nuts. "DO YOU KNOW HOW GOOD EAGLE SCOUT LOOKS ON A COLLEGE APPLICATION?" Not sure she ever forgave me.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

'Muricans, that's who...you wuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted