1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So the current organization needs torn to ground.

Should something replace it? My daughter is a Girl Scout, and with all its mismanagement at the local level, it’s still a good organization.

Can the local troops press forward? Do localities run something sort of like parks and rec soccer but with teams of scouts?

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I made it as far as Webelos before quitting. Still remember slaving over that Pinewood Derby car...

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had a good experience with Scouting, made friends, did more outdoors stuff than I likely would have - but I'm guessing this bankruptcy is just a legal maneuver like they did with some Catholic dioceses. It doesn't undo the damage done by people within the organization.

Neutral Corner and I Should Coco like this.
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It is sad. Can we have one thing that doesn't get debased?

I didn't get very far in it, but scouting was one of the things that best blended kids from differing socioeconomic backgrounds, and almost completely erased the lines.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The lawsuits I'm sure are a big factor. But so is the declining participation in outdoor recreation across the USA.

A little less than half of the entire population did not participate in outdoor recreation at least once in 2018. Only 13.9 percent of Americans went camping (and that includes backyard camping) at least once.

maumann likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Surprised by those figures. Hiking is a way bigger deal than it was when I was a kid. A nice niche industry also.

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

You would hope there is a way to thread the needle and provide justice for victims without destroying the organization and the good it does. It obviously took way too long to implement them, but once they acted the scouts took effective steps to prevent abuse. Today there are very strict guidelines - a single scout can never be supervised only by a single adult, for example - that, at least in the troop my sons are in, are closely followed. I have never had a moment's doubt about my sons being safe at scout events, and it's been a very good program for them.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I credit a lot of my work ethic, project management skills and leadership abilities and sense of adventure to my nine years in Boy Scouts...that said, I hope it's blown up and replaced by a co-ed, civic-minded organization that replaces all the military indoctrination with an emphasis on civic duty and nature conservation.

Draft saved Draft deleted