1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge a Song by its cover

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Feb 17, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

XM Radio has a covers station.

Better cover than original

She's Not There, Santana's cover is better than the Zombie's original
    Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Carole King's cover is better than the Shirelles original (Goffin and King wrote it)

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Joan Jett’s I love rock and roll is better than the original by arrows. Screw it, pretty much every Joan Jett cover is better than the original: crimson and clover, do ya wanna touch, light of day. Won’t give her dirty deeds

Chef2 likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Watchtower.

Dylan himself quit doing his own original arrangement and essentially adopted Hendrix's version as the definitive rendition.

forever_town likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few months ago I picked up an old Tommy James album on vinyl with "Crimson and Clover." I had forgotten just how much better the Joan Jett version is. The original is produced in a way that's borderline unlistenable.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Diana Ross

Granted ... Ashford and Simpson tweaked it more than a little after Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell performed it, but it's better. A lot better.

6. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

Ike and Tina Turner, "Proud Mary."

forever_town and Flip Wilson like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

Was is it the single version or the longer album version? The longer version sounds closer to what Jett would later do with it, while the single version as you said is not good.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Probably the single version? It sounds like they're singing the chorus into a fan.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Handy Man" - James Taylor

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Another Dylan. Jason and the Scorcher's version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie".

I saw Warner Hodges, the Scorcher's lead guitar player, at a local house concert. One of the stories he told was about when they toured with Dylan. They'd had an MTV hit with that song, but on tour with the man, they were kinda scared to play it. So on the third date together, Dylan came back to their dressing room and jumped their shit. "You're not playing my song! Why not? I really like the way you do it." So yeah, from then on...

Huggy likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If there's a better cover than the Beatles doing Barrett Strong's "Money" I don't know what it is.

misterbc likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

Actually, I just listened the longer version as well, it’s still shitty, but just way longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted