1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great name for a minor league team in New Jersey, Jersey Buzzers. The mascot could be a midget on a buzzer

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Might as well make it a bullseye

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That Manfred presser today has to be the worst ever by a Commissioner. Referring to the trophy as a "piece of metal?" I'd fire him for that.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lord Stanley weeps.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lol piece of metal. That reminds me of the head of a taxpayer funded nonprofit 'round here who lied in person to the town governing body about being nationally accredited ... and when pressed he doubled down by saying the accreditation was just a piece of paper he'd get in the mail to hang on the wall. The governing body did not punish or reprimand him but he was clearly lying as I had all the documents.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I cant remember who the player was today....but someone ripped Manfred for that quote, saying it indicated how out of touch he is.

I totally, totally agree. I can't believe the commissioner would publicly shit on the trophy like that. If I was player, that's a fireable offence to me.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Justin Turner:

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interesting that Manfred was afraid of the Union when it appears that the Union membership wanted harsher penalties. When Mike Trout makes public comments against the Astros’ players you’d have to think that the membership would have communicated to their representatives what they wanted to see happen.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Manfred was afraid he wouldn't be able to discipline players without the union's input. Union makes a handy scapegoat for his own weakness and the inability of his owner bosses to agree on what should be done except sweeping it under the rug as quickly as possible.

Chef2 likes this.
  12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

This Passan lead ... :chef’s kiss:

“This being Florida, and Florida being the cradle of American absurdity, the sight of a man peeling off his shirt, walking to a place where he was guaranteed to be noticed, pirouetting to show off the tattoo on his left collarbone, slipping on a new shirt and slinking away, satisfied, mission accomplished, felt entirely appropriate. Actually, that's a lie. What Jose Altuve did Monday morning in front of a group of reporters was spectacular even by Florida's standards. This is the Houston Astros' existence. They have morphed into such a circus, such a far-fetched big top, that they are seeing Florida and telling it to hold their Shiner Bock.”

Disciplining Astros not as easy for MLB as Altuve revealing a tattoo

Draft saved Draft deleted