1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Right. And comparing an actual biological difference to this is asinine.

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Not when you come to grips that science is increasingly placing gender on a spectrum rather than viewing it as binary.

Understanding Gender

3. Iron_chet

Yes. Gender may be a spectrum. Sex isn’t.

To be fair competition must take place by sex and not gender.

Also not sure that a website run by trans activists is the best source of unbiased information.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They absolutely can participate with the other biological males.

You act as if you are the only one here who understands the issues that transgender people face. You aren't. You act as if you are the only one who is sympathetic to them. You aren't. The difference is that you're allowing your outrage and your sympathy to overwhelm reason and fairness.

Letting biological males compete in girls sports is not fair to the biological females who play them.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean the girls who are involved in the lawsuit are wrong.

As Iron_chet already pointed out, the transgender athletes aren't finishing last most of the time. They have an unfair advantage. That is the entire issue.

The comparison Solo made to 14-year-olds competing against 18-year-olds is ludicrous. For one thing, the 14-year-olds will eventually get the chance to be one of the 18-year-olds.

6. SoloFlyer

The number of trans athletes excelling in sports is pretty rare.

"For all the hand-wringing about transgender women ruining women’s sport, so far there’s little evidence of that happening. Although CeCé Telfer and June Eastwood garnered attention for their outstanding performances on women’s collegiate running teams, they are hardly the only transgender athletes in the NCAA. Helen Carroll is a LGBTQ sports advocate who worked on the NCAA transgender handbook. Through her advocacy work, she has interacted extensively with transgender athletes and she estimates there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 transgender athletes currently competing in NCAA sports. Most of them “you don’t hear a thing about,” she says, because their participation hasn’t caused controversy."

Trans Athletes Are Posting Victories and Shaking Up Sports

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don’t agree, but at least you’re consistent.

8. Iron_chet

You've cherry picked one dissenting voice in an article on how Transgendered athletes are shaking up sports?

I will side with Martina Navratalova on this issue. I find nothing to disagree with here.

A Canadian coach speaks out against biological males in women’s sports - The Post Millennial

9. Baron Scicluna

Your first sentence made my point. It’s the end result that is the issue. They’re winning the races, which is why the girls are saying it’s unfair.

10. SoloFlyer

I'm sorry, but that author's insistence on using quotes around anything related to transgender issues just screams bias and hatred.

You can side with Martina and that random Canadian coach/author all you want. I'll side with the doctors and scientists who study this issue closely rather than wantonly spout off.

11. Baron Scicluna

There are unfair advantages involving biology in sports all the time. Can someone who is 5 feet 8 inches sue because they feel someone who is 6-8 is taking his spot on the boys basketball team? How about a girl who does play a boys sport? Should she sue to make the boys compete at a reduced effort?

It’s about the end result. The girls who are suing only feel it’s unfair because they lost. The ADF is only suing because they see an opportunity to stick it to transgender people.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Ms. Blade is not the only coach to express this opinion. One of my nearest and dearest is trans and she coaches varsity sports. She's also a navy veteran and has arms like Michelle Obama's. (This is not meant as a criticism. I wish my arms looked like Michelle Obama's.) I've seen her arm wrestle with members of the local men's Rugby team and a couple of pro hockey players and win.

She says it's great when women can compete with men, but her feeling is that sometimes you have to put political correctness aside and face the fact that males are more often than not bigger and stronger.

I asked her if she felt that was unfair for young people who are transitioning to be excluded or forced to compete in arenas based on old identities. Her response was surprising. First, one of the realities of transitioning is that it is a gradual thing. There are avenues that might not be immediately open because of physical realities. Identify and present as female and use the ladies' room in public places? Not a thing wrong with that. Declare yourself exempt from laps due to cramps? Bitch, please.

Like some of the posters on this thread, she has mentioned there is too much emphasis on winning at that level. The concept of a developing athlete seems to peter out at age eleven. She worries that coaches and researchers in physical development as it pertains to sports are going to push the age window younger and younger. Her concern is that the physical advantage many M to F trans players have over their CIS teammates will factor into this in the wrong ways.

She doesn't see an absolutely fair way to handle this. She did play lacrosse and basketball as a boy in high school and she admits that she would have wanted to play on the girls' teams if she'd openly identified herself as female back then. I suggested that it might be good for trans girls to play on the girls' squad. We are talking about youth who are still growing and trying to find themselves.

She said that for some students it was more than what they get from it in terms of personal development. She sees it as an unfortunate reality. She said I needed to see that sports for young women has come a long way in a short time and this places an unfair onus on people who wouldn't have had the consideration they have now, which she grants is still horrendously unequal, without Title IX.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted