1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The answer is to not let boys compete in girls’ sports. It’s pretty fucking simple.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not an expert at all in this, but it seems like it's a little more complex than an athlete waking up the day of the regional meet and saying they identify as female that day, isn't it?

I know we had a topic a few years back on a trans male-to-female basketball player at a juco in California. They played in a tournament where I was working and, when preparing my preview capsules, I Googled the name and found the backstory. Soon followed by me thinking "how the hell do I explain this? Jane Smith, formerly known as Joe Smith, leads Podunk College with 20 points and 15 rebounds per game?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yes, these men and women go through surgery, bouts of depression and anxiety, intensive hormone therapy, and possibly ostracization from friends and families, all to win a high school track meet.

FOH.

4. SoloFlyer

Generally speaking, if it's someone who is publicly known to have transitioned like Caitlyn Jenner, there's no need to reference their previous name. The Wachowskis (writers and directors of The Matrix films) are another example.

In your case, if it's the first time this woman has been mentioned in the paper since her transition and most readers know her by her former name, I think a clarifying line is OK. Maybe in some cases, if it's not public yet - and it sounds like your case was already public - you reach out to the individual somehow and check.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Two words: Mike Penner.

SoloFlyer likes this.
  6. SoloFlyer

Sadly, I had forgotten all about Mike Penner/Christine Daniels until just now.

Something like 40 percent of transgender adults and those who battle gender identity issues have attempted suicide, which I think is about nine or ten times higher than the normal societal average.

And people are worried about whether it's fair to let them play sports.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A_QB is still calling them boys. I thought we had at least settled that part, but, sadly, no.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Part of the issue is where do you draw the line. Does the person have to have gender reassignment surgery from male to female to complete as a female? Do they have to go through hormone treatment? Do they just have to identify as female and live as one?

Sometimes, you have to deal with the problem in front of you. In this case, the problem is whether it is fair or not to let them play sports as females.

I honestly don't know the right answer, but anybody who thinks it is simple or too trivial to care about given the larger issues some of these people face is not seeing the entire picture.

To answer your point, does a person get to compete with an unfair and illegal advantage just because that person's life is extremely difficult in other areas?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's just it...a lot of them haven't gone through the surgery. And their rights aren't supposed to trample on someone else's.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I agree that a college coach recruiting these girls will take those circumstances into account. It's not costing them scholarships.
    It is costing them a level playing field.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

does the NCAA have a rule about this yet? what about the NFHS? Its not allowed in international competition, IIRC.

High schools should be able to follow the rules set forth above them. It should not fall on random state athletic people and ADs to determine this stuff. Its far too complex.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

One thing that will eventually come up, and have to be realized and dealt with, too, is any change in privacy rights/issues regarding trans-gender people.

There may come a time when we won't know if someone is transgender at all, and we might be considered not to have the right to know.

Sure, there are still problems for such people. But, with greater acceptance of those who are different or outside of what has always been considered the norm -- as has been occurring in recent years -- will come a need to address the needs and desires of that population, and others won't be easily privy to such information.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted