1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11 Thread: Hines Ward crack-back block edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 12, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not said immediately after the incident when it was fresh in his mind. Do you determine this story after consultation with your lawyers and the union?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or from Cleveland, which is likely worse.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Little early to be drunk, isn’t it?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Pathetic

JC likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is a particularly ridiculous fanboy moment for you.

Getting in the face of a guy is not even close to the level of what Garrett did. He used a helmet as a weapon.

'yab's take is every bit as ridiculous. I don't know of any history of violence by Garrett off the field. It is ludicrous to say just because he was violent toward an opponent on the field, even in such an unacceptable way, to claim that means he would hit his wife or his child. That is an idiotic post and it isn't hard to see where it is coming from given 'yab's history.

JC likes this.
  6. outofplace

Garrett's claim has very little to do with Rudolph's future. Rudolph's future is in doubt because he isn't very good.

I don't buy Garrett's claim for a second, though I'm certainly not defending Rudolph. The most likely scenario is made it up to cover his own ass.

That said, it is utterly ridiculous and inappropriate to claim that his actions on the field make him likely to strike a wife or child. It is most likely based in your own racism, it is not supported by evidence and it is actually disrespectful to the real threat posed by men who have actually committed such acts of violence.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

OK, Steelers fanboi.

Who is out of control right here? Garrett does nothing if he does not hear Rudolph slur him, followed by this out-of-control charge.

[​IMG]

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A still picture provides real context. Get the fuck out of here.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Should we post a still pick of Garrett bringing him down?

10. outofplace

The guy who is about to use the helmet in his right hand as a weapon, which is what any rational human being who saw the entire incident would tell you.

Again, I'm not defending Rudolph, but his actions weren't even close to being as egregious as what Garrett did. We see angry guys run at one another or hit one another on the football field all the time. We don't see them swinging a guy's helmet at his uncovered head.

It wasn't just Steelers fans saying that Garrett crossed the line. Some said Rudolph deserved a share of the blame, too, but there is no excuse for swinging a helmet like a weapon the way Garrett did.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I could post a video showing an out-of-control Rudolph. I'm sure you'd whine about that as well.

Sure, post a picture of an in-control Garrett sacking a quarterback.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

People with explosive violent personalities don’t suddenly turn it off in a domestic setting.
    Garrett took an action that was unprecedented in 100 years of football. He literally went berserk and couldn’t control his temper or actions. He’s not done psychopath like Suh who plans to hurt people. Garret lost his damn mind on a play that typical in football. Having dealt with actual domestic violence perpetrators for 30 years I’ll put my insights up against your excuse making any day. Someone who would completely lose it without extraordinary provocation would do it at work, at home or an airplane. His resort to racism is also classic DV, deflect all responsibility on the victim. Even if he said a bad word, is attempting to crush someone’s skull even in the realm of appropriate responses?

Draft saved Draft deleted