1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Conn. high school girls file lawsuit arguing that allowing transgender athletes to compete is sex discrimination

Wonder where this ends. The fact remains is that you can identify as a girl or woman all you want. If you're biologically male, odds are high that you're inherently bigger, stronger and faster than females. I understand that trans people go through discrimination but should their rights come at the expense of a level playing field in athletics?

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Serious issue, but ...

I love that the first quote is essentially “You’re costing us scholarships!” Trans teens are the new old white sports editors. Who would have thought?

Tweener, Armchair_QB and HanSenSE like this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yeah, we can talk about ethics and fairness, but when your initial complaint is about scholarships AND you align yourself with an anti-LGBTQ and anti-abortion lawyer group, it makes it hard not to think there's something more to this than just fairness.

jlee likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The name of the group putting on this suit is quite ironic, considering they’re attacking transgenders’ freedom.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think I posted this in another thread on the topic but the scholarship thing is really really stupid.

College coach X only cares about your time. Whether you finished first fourth fifth or twenty seventh at your state final is not relevant in any way shape or form.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Exactly. If Usain Bolt is in your same class and you finish second every race, doesn't matter. If you've still got a good enough time, they'll recruit you.

Inverse is true, too. Parents don't understand why Johnny Quarterback isn't getting recruited after he threw for 3,000 yards and 40 touchdowns. Well, if he's 5-foot-10 in a spread offense where all he does is throw five-yard slants against shitty competition, it's not that impressive. College coaches look at the whole picture, not just stats or results.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just gotta get some write ups in the paper. That will get you a scholarship.

Jesus_Muscatel, SFIND and Fred siegle like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I want to see a 212 pound MMA fighter say they identify as a woman and then have these people watch that person beat the hell out of a female MMA fighter.

Call you Sue? Piss with me? Take sex Ed with me? Share a locker room? Fuck it. Why not? No biggie.

Steamroll a female on the way the goal or basket? No.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How about looking at this from a purely competitive sense. Don't worry about scholarships or championships. A biological male woke up one day and decided to identify as female. I'm not even saying it was for athletic reasons. But somewhere along the line, that person decided to compete against biological girls. It goes against basic fairness. Identifying as a male or female doesn't make you a biological male or female.

Iron_chet likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The lawsuit centers on senior transgender runners Andraya Yearwood of Cromwell High and Terry Miller of Bloomfield, who made national headlines after finishing first and second in the 55-meter dash at the state indoor track championships last winter. Last spring, Miller won the 200-meter dash and was part of the first-place 4x400-meter relay team at the state outdoor championships. Yearwood and Miller have won a combined 15 state titles in different events.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

im not saying its fair. I dont know what the answer is. I dont think state high school athletic associations are equipped to grapple with these kinda things, either.

but if kids or parents think this is costing them opportunities to run in college, they’re clueless.

it being messed up and also having 0 to do with college scholarships is not mutually exclusive

Draft saved Draft deleted