1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar; Giuliani is his personal counsel too??

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Crane keeps his title, faces no punishment in one of the worst sports scandals in history. Color me shocked.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kobe had more regret

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No evidence that he knew about the scheme, no rules about lack of institutional control.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And yet...
    If he doesn't immediately fire Hinch & Luhnow, There's a good chance that they as well as Cora & Beltran would have kept their jobs.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I get the sense that a lot of fans really don't give a shit. Sure, the Dodgers fans do, because it gives them a scapegoat. But Beltran from what I read joined the Astros from the Yankees and said the Astros were behind the times on this type of thing. So now the Yankees are possibly implicated. The Red Sox are already implicated. The Cardinals are already known cheats from when the former director of scouting hacked the Astros personnel database. I imagine a lot more of this shit goes on and every team knows it, so their PR people are probably thinking its wise to tell their own players to tamp down criticism. Has that happened? Has MLB made a directive?

This was such a dumb system of cheating that was inevitably going to get exposed.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems like I've seen plenty of criticism of it from the players. Tanaka and Severino, to name two, just recently spoke how it pissed them off.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I guess they're assuming the Yankees didn't dabble as well.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Astros should just own this thing. "In an effort to win games we used electronic means to see other teams' signs, which is against the rules of baseball. For that we apologize."

It's that simple and better than all the mealy-mouth dancing around they are doing now.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted