1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Follow Up! High School Sports Writer looking for Feedback/Helpful Criticism

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Anthony Y, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

A couple months ago I came on the site looking for some advice, and I’m back for some more.

This time around I have a lot more experience, and a special announcement.

Before I was writing for my school paper, covering the sports beat. While I’m still writing for them, I created my own sports blog.

I created 305sports.net ( 305Sports - Providing In-Depth Analysis And Coverage Of Miami Sports. )to provide in-depth coverage and analysis on sports in Miami. We cover the Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins, Miami Marlins, Miami Hurricanes FB & BB, and Miami-Dade County high school sports.

Check it out: 305Sports - Providing In-Depth Analysis And Coverage Of Miami Sports.

I’ve been able to gain a lot of experience, not just writing. My social media’s are growing, and I’m meeting new people.

I’m currently looking looking to become a reporter for the Miami Hurricanes. I’ll let you all know a follow up on that within the next couple weeks. I’m also trying to find some freelance jobs.

Take a look at my work: Anthony Yero, Author at 305Sports

Also, if any of you have owned a sports blog, what did you to grow?

I have a lot to learn and I’m glad I have started so early.

My brother has also joined me in our path to become professional sports journalists.

I’m only 16 years old and have so much to learn. Hopefully you guys can give me some more feedback like the last time so I can continue to improve.

Thank you

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's certainly a nice start. You can open some eyes with that.

I'm not crazy about the font for your headlines. Use something like Arial Narrow Black, and you'll get more words in less space, and it will stand out better.

3. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

I’ll note that. Thank you

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hi, Anthony.

I really like that you’re publishing a lot and doing several types of stories (game recaps, high school roundups, analysis). That steady regimen will serve you well.

Make sure to write the most important thing first in a non-feature article. For example, the story on the new wide receivers coach didn’t mention him until the sixth paragraph and didn’t mention wide receivers until the third paragraph.

You took all our feedback into account and applied it. It shows. That’s a useful skill to have in this business.

Have you thought about applying for media credentials at the Miami spring game? You might get a “no,” but you can always try again next year. The university might give you some guidance on how to meet its criteria if they turn you down. Plus, if writing “for” the UM athletic program is your goal, being in touch with them is never a bad thing.

I have no experience with growing a blog readership, but I wish you good luck!

5. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Thanks for the response jlee. That specific article wasn’t written by me. My friend William Hernandez wrote that one and I noticed as I was editing it. However, I didn’t want to fix it so he could see how his writing continues to improve over time. But I let him know.

I have applied for a media credential for the Miami spring game. I submitted my resume the other day and I’m awaiting a response.

Thank you for the feedback

jlee likes this.
  6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you.

7. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Thank you!

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

First, I'm impressed that a 16-year-old has taken this much initiative to create a site that's eye-catching and all-encompassing. Congratulations.

That said, you and your staff appear to be excellent at repackaging what's already available (using MLS highlights to form a story narrative, for example) but I'm missing your analysis. Your voices, so to speak. You all understand the who, what, where, when and how. But the hardest one, the why, is where you need to take the next step to improve not only your writing skills but to make your site unique.

What makes sites stand out from the content aggregators is putting your own opinion and analysis to work. Don't be afraid to write pieces -- they don't have to be long -- that show your understanding of why things are happening in your hometown sports. Give your audience a reason to believe you and your staff are knowledgeable. Don't be afraid to be wrong at times, but don't be afraid to try.

Why has Inter Miami lost three overtime games? What do you think is missing, and why? What should management do to win those games instead of losing them, and why? I wnat to know what you think over a recap of their loss -- or at least package the recap as a sidebar inside your analysis.

If the Miami Dolphins need to cut their roster, who should go and why?

If the Miami Marlins can improve on 2019, what needs to happen and why?

If the Miami Heat are going to Orlando without Pat Riley, how will that affect their chances, good and bad?

Now, don't go all Barstool or Bleacher and listicle "Eight keys to the Dolphins' 2020 season." But "Where does Inter Miami go after their most recent loss" is the story I'm dying to read after seeing your recap.

Good luck. I'm hoping you'll continue to polish your craft. There's a lot of potential if you keep re-evaluating what you're doing well. All the best.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    BrownScribe likes this.
  9. Anthony Y

Anthony Y New Member

Thank you for the advice! You’re 100% right.

Draft saved Draft deleted