1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure what talent comes out of there, but Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon didn't have problems with recruiting talent there.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They never got players from Pittsburgh, IIRC.

I think they were great at taking three star kids from NYC and keeping them for four years.

Adams might have beeen the only big recruit and he was from New Zealand (?).

Hell, going back to Smith, Aiken, Lane... none of them were from Pittsburgh.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Howland had Ernie Ziegler -- a big NYC recruiter -- on staff. Ended up going with him to UCLA before taking the Central Michigan head coaching job. Ziegler is back on staff at Miss State with Howland.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Basketball isn't football. I follow Rhode Island, and can't remember the last time we had a non-walk on, scholarship player, and we've done fine over the years. Lately, we've mostly been recruiting from the DMV - Direct flights run from the D.C. airport to Providence a couple times a day, and they're cheap, so I imagine it's not a hard sell to recruits, friends and families. Pittsburgh has to be similar. We're not talking about like, St. Bonaventure or Maine here.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was Barry Rohrrsen who brought in all of the NYC talent. When he left to take the Manhattan head coaching job is when you saw a noticeable drop in talent. Dixon also was mad at the school for switching from Adidas to Nike and leaving for the ACC so he essentially stopped recruiting. The last "class" he had had three grad transfers. He was doing the back end version of a one-and-done.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're right, I got Ziegler and Barry mixed up. I know Ziegler has been with Howland at basically every stop, so that's where I got it confused.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Rohrrsen's illustrious career has included being fired by UNLV for being too dirty.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

You're not wrong. During Pitt's 15-year run from 2001-2016 of making sweet 16s and winning Big East titles only one role player came from the area: DeJuan Blair.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't get the allure of going to college in the area you grew up and live. Get away to go to college, especially basketball. I can see why kids want to stay in Michigan, Ohio, Alabama ... to play football.

It goes back a long way. When Frank McGuire left St Johns to coach North Carolina, he still recruited NYC. They went. Durant wanted nothing to do with Maryland or Georgetown. Most of the DMV kids leave.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hey, I knew I wanted to go to college away from my home area and it had nothing to do with sports. Natural impulse among many teenagers.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I stayed in state, but I was about four hours away from home.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Staying in state but being hours from home not an option for us Delawareans.

Draft saved Draft deleted