1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The Jets- Eagles one is the one that blows my mind. The rest make sense to some extent.

I used to spend a lot of time researching these. I think one of best, if not the best, was the dolphins going 19-1 against the colts between 1977 and 1987.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are several others who have only won once or twice against someone.
    The Falcons are 2-14-1 all-time against the Steelers and had a 0-9-1 streak at one point.
    The Cardinals are 1-9-1 against the Broncos and didn't get that one win until 2010.
    The Redskins are 1-9 against the Chiefs and have lost seven in a row since 1983.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How...

jk. Those are bizarre. I wouldn't have guessed any of those. Would have guessed the Pats would have a few long streaks against certain teams.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

On the flip side, the Cardinals and Dodgers have been playing each other in baseball since the early 1900s and the all-time record is 1044-1040 StL.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Pats are 6-7 against the Cowboys. They lost the first seven meetings, and have won the last six since 1999.
    They've won eight in a row against the Colts since 2010. Then there are a bunch of 5-7 game winning streaks that extend through the Brady-Belichick era or back to the late 2000s. As much as they've dominated the AFC East, those teams have won the occasional game against them to keep those streaks from extending more than a few years. The Pats beat the Bills 15 times in a row in the 2000s.

As for the Redskins and Chiefs ... I mean, have you seen the Redskins over the past 30 years?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As little as possible.

Batman likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

Quasi easy, yet obscure: the 1980 Philadelphia Phillies had three separate Cy Young winners on its roster. Name all three?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I had three guesses and looked them up first and the only one I had right was Steve Carlton.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kinda unfair considering Carlton was the only one who pitched in the Series - not even sure the other two were on the WS roster.

10. cyclingwriter2

they were not...but they were on the roster during the season. Unfair? Nah. Dick of a question? Yep.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had to look it up. There was one I might should have known from playing APBA when I was a kid. The other one, I knew he played for the Phillies at some point but thought it was much later in the 1980s.

12. cyclingwriter2

As I’ve mentioned, I was a Phillies fan as a kid. I’m convinced there is an alternate reality Phillies franchise that just dominated the late 1980s with a lineup of Schmidt, Samuel, Hayes augmented by George Bell, Ryan Sandberg, Julio Franco, Bob Boone and Lonnie Smith with Keith Moreland, Bob Dernier, Glen Wilson, and Jim Morrison as needed. A pitching staff with a top three of Dave Stewart, Mike Krukow and Bob Walk, and then Shane Rawley and Kevin Gross as four and fives

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted