1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

McConkey is one.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is one. Super Bowl XXI.
    Two hints for the other one
    1) Throwing a touchdown pass does not count in NFL stats as actually scoring a point (so it's not Roger Staubach)
    2) This guy's place in this question was the result of one of the most famous plays in Super Bowl history

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Had to go reread the question again after your hint and saw “graduation” was not a qualifier so i will go with some certainty that it is Larry Cole of the Cowboys.

Also, have to mention that McConkey had no intention of leaving the Navy for the NFL, but apparently would get seasick so he left and decided why not get back into football shape.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not Larry Cole. This guy is pretty obscure. I'd never heard of him until I saw this stat.

5. cyclingwriter2

My bad. I thought Cole, who had been kicked out of the Air Force academy in a cheating scandal, got a safety against Bradshaw

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Paying off the service academies question, the answers are Phil McConkey (Navy) and Curt Knight (Coast Guard).
    Knight was the kicker for the 1972 Redskins and got his one Super Bowl point by kicking the PAT following the infamous Garo Yepremian botched field goal/INT touchdown return by Mike Bass late in Super Bowl VII.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

Now that was obscure. Well done.

Batman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What are the only three NFL teams that have not beaten each of the other 31 teams at least once in their history?
    One of these is pretty easy, but the other two are a bit surprising.

And a related question, what is the only NFL team that has an undefeated record against two other franchises?

9. cyclingwriter2

Texans, Buccaneers and Jaguars?

assuming that the second part means current teams, gonna say I have no idea

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, talking about all current teams.
    The Texans (the easy one I mentioned) are one of the three. The Bucs and Jags are not.

11. cyclingwriter2

Looked it up:
    Looked it up. Don’t think I would guess any of those teams in my top five

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to keep you in suspense, just wanted to observe the 24-hour rule to see if anyone else took a guess.

Since no one else has, here are the answers:
    The Texans, Jets and Bears are the only teams that have not beaten each of the 31 other NFL teams.
    The Texans are 0-4 against the Vikings, and 0-5 against the Eagles.
    The Bears are 0-4 all-time against the Texans.
    The Jets -- the real oddity in this one, just because of the number of times they've played -- are 0-11 all-time against the Eagles since the merger in 1970.
    The Eagles beat the Jets this year as well, so that stat will continue until at least 2023. The Texans play the NFC North next season, so their streaks against the Bears and Vikings will either extend or end. The Texans and Eagles next play in 2022.

And, obviously, based off of all of that, the Eagles are the only team with a perfect record against two different franchises (Texans and Jets).

CD Boogie and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted