1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree. Bummer that I went in with high expectations. The twist at then end was more pragmatic than Shamalayan.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Especially the waterboarding scenes?

/there are, aren't there?

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He'll get one eventually. He's also the face of a cult. (In theory, so is Elizabeth Moss - and she has zero "I had no idea" excuse to be in it - but she's not best friends with the cult leader.)

lakefront likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Creed II was a solid follow-up. Didn't buy that Creed and Drago were in the same weight class, but thought the relationship between the Dragos might have been the strongest part of the film. You almost wonder if the next installment in the franchise is Drago.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bottle Shock is available on Prime. Watch it. Just watch it

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I just finished The Laundromat on Netflix. It was....OK. Good premise, great acting....too preachy.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Panama Papers documentary is better and more informed.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It's Oscar month on TCM

Watched The Caine Mutiny last night.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That has me convinced Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is going to clean up. I get the sense a lot of actors (and even, to a lesser extent, directors) will connect with that fear of becoming a has-been.

I've now seen OUATIH, 1917, Joker, Parasite, The Irishman and Ford v. Ferrari. I would have bet on 1917 as Best Picture before reading that, but I can totally see how it may slip. Also, the lack of character development (and, thus, lack of acting nominations) makes me think it will get passed over.

OUATIH is not undeserving, though. It's a really good movie and the primary criticisms I read before seeing it didn't ring true to me. I saw people saying it was a "collection of scenes, not a story," which I couldn't disagree with more. I saw Tarantino taking heat for not doing more with Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate. I would have liked to see more of her, but she was dead-on point when she said that she found a way to give that character depth without having a lot of lines. She was brilliant in that scene in the movie theater. Leo was absolutely fantastic and, in another year, he'd have won Best Actor (Phoenix is a virtual lock). Pitt looks like a strong bet for Best Supporting Actor. Not necessarily Oscar-related, but the actor who played Bruce Lee as freaking awesome. That scene was great.

If the Best Picture is anything besides OUATIH or 1917, I'll be absolutely stunned.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was zero soul in OUATIH other than Pitt.

heyabbott and CD Boogie like this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Honey Boy; Shia Lebouf’s life story; tough story.

Draft saved Draft deleted