1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Pinatas?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tsingtao has announced they are shifting their vats from brewing beer to manufacturing antiseptic alcohol.

Shit's getting real.

4. Neutral Corner

5. Neutral Corner

Yes and no. It could go wildfire, but while it is scary, it is mostly far away and a lot of the worry is about the potential.

Flu has killed 10,000 people this winter. Here.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The fear is setting in here in Singapore. My local grocery store was packed today -- even by Saturday afternoon standards -- and the shelves were disturbingly bare. No official restrictions on movement or large gatherings yet, but schools and the government are definitely having those discussions. My roommate is taking the opportunity to amass a strategic stockpile of Ben & Jerry's, just to be on the safe side.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Oh, joy. This just in from my school (emphasis mine):

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Stolen from the inter webs:

Let's play the big numbers game...but with links

Coronavirus: 31161confirmed cases, 636 confirmed deaths = 2.1 percent of the whole number of cases so far resulted in death. Mind you that those deaths should be measured against the confirmed cases from X days ago since theres an incubation period and the number of deaths from today’s case number will be represented in the coming days.

But for arguement sake, 2.1 percent death rate.
    www.wuflu.live

Influenza: 19 Million estimated cases last year and 10,000 estimated deaths for a .0005 percent death rate.

Using the same logic as all the big number players here, Coronavirus has a death rate 39.5 TIMES the flu.

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have been helping out in the Pharmacy department of my Walmart store this week because there has been no department manager there lately.

I cannot tell you how much-requested those facemasks have suddenly become, particularly by customers of Chinese/Asian heritage. But we have been completely out of them for two weeks now -- everywhere. There are none in Pharmacy, none in the Hardware/Paint department and none in Garden. And they're a supply out -- meaning no store has any right now -- on the warehouse level, too, so it'll be a while before we get any of them again.

10. Neutral Corner

And if you can find them, the price is in many cases much much higher than it used to be.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A doctor friend said there aren’t enough surgical masks in the country to keep hospitals stocked if civilians make a run on them.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Tractor Supply and stores like that have a good supply of masks for general stuff like for painting and sanding. Hope that works for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted