1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune buyouts announced today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How offensive. Whenever buyouts are offered ... it's such an embarrassment. It's a company saying through its actions it cares not about any specific writer/journalist. If somebody's been there 8 years and is making a buck, they want them gone. Many businesses want good people. Not newspaper companies.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are the papers managed as a joint newsroom or still run seperately?

6. Bud_Bundy

Joint newsroom. It's all one big combined family now.

7. Bud_Bundy

At the Daily Press/Virginian-Pilot, add sports columnist David Teel to the list of those taking the buyout. He was there 36 years, enshrined in a couple of halls of fame and winner of countless awards.

His farewell column .... which may be behind a paywall ....

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This isn't just a journalism issue, sadly. I've always given notice, but that's not required. And I've been laid off and let go, with notice and without, sometimes with a buyout and sometimes without. That's how it works.

I got a great piece of advice from someone a long time ago who said, "You may love the business, but the business will never love you back. Working is strictly a financial arrangement: You do a certain amount of production and the company is supposed to pay you whatever amount you've agreed upon, or the check bounces.

"If you think the company isn't holding up its end of the bargain, you can quit and find something else to do. You owe the company no notice and no explanations. If the company doesn't need you, its only obligation is whatever terms you agreed to when you were hired. They owe you nothing more than that.

"If you attach an emotional investment to the job, you're always going to find yourself disappointed in the eventual outcome."

Given the state of the industry, if you pass on the buyouts, you're gambling that the xx months you'll stay employed during that time will outweigh the buyout money. But with all due respect to the people in Orlando (and any job), your sense of community responsibility means squat in bottom-line decision making. If management thinks your employment is beneficial, you'll stay. If not, you'll be replaced or eliminated.

Nobody is irreplaceable. Somebody replaced Grantland Rice, Shirley Povich, Furman Bisher and Jim Murray. Somebody's working at all the radio stations, newspapers and online outlets where I used to be employed.

It's a lousy way to run a newspaper. Or a hospital. Or a bank. But that's the cold, harsh reality of economics in the 21st century.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Teel is a legend, and he's as nice of a guy as you'll ever meet. Helpful to those at smaller newspapers learning their way. Won't big-time a soul. I'm going to miss reading his excellent takes on the ACC. No one was better.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hard to read of some departures today. Just hard. So much institutional knowledge out the door.

maumann likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A publisher once told me institutional knowledge was overrated.

Then he got laid off.

maumann likes this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

True. Of course the suits don't care.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted