1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So your contention is that a QB salary cap will result in QBs screwing over their teammates, when they're already screwing over their teammates by taking up a quarter or more of the team's cap space? Well-argued.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do agree that the rookie qb structure has encouraged teams to dump middle-tier starters. . You've got your rookies and back-ups and you've got your franchise QBs.
    You draft a rookie, you've got salary certainty for four years plus - enough time to fish or cut bait. And it makes more sense to draft a qb in the first round (even if he's a 2nd or 3rd round grade) because you'll have that fifth year option - which doesn't apply to second round picks and lower.
    2020 Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a stupid argument because it is never going to happen. The quarterbacks will never let the union do this. They will separate and form their own union if it comes to that.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are talking nonsense.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol.Pleaee explain the how they could go about doing this.

6. Michael_ Gee

Easy. Check the National Labor Relations Act. They separate, sign cards, have an election, and gain recognition. Quite straightforward once they're placed in a separate job category.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol. That’s never happening. Players still get a fixed percentage of income. This doesn’t lower what the owners pay in salaries.

8. Michael_ Gee

If you have a specific salary level for one set of employees and not the others, they can form their own union to bargain collectively for salaries, benefits, etc. because they are legally different from those other employees.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Why would quarterbacks ever agree to be in a separate "pool" though? I suppose their votes could be overwhelmed by the other members of the union, and the changes would get jammed through, but as the players earning the most money, and the ones with the longest tenures short of punters and kickers, I imagine they also have more influence on union affairs than a random defensive tackle.

When it comes to NFL contracts, the most glaring "injustice" to me is how long rookie contracts are, especially given how violent and long-lasting the consequences can be. You typically know if a player is good or not after a year or two in the NFL, except maybe QBs - you don't have the long development curves you have in basketball and especially baseball. If you want to more accurately compensate good players, let them get to free agency quicker.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is completely untrue. Most collective agreements have salary structures based on positions.

11. Michael_ Gee

Yes, but separate categories of employees have the right to form their own unions. There's also this. The union (and the NFL to a lesser degree) need quarterbacks more than QBs need it.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you allow the QBs, who have the most power and visibility of all of the players to operate under a different set of rules for salary, then you weaken the bargaining power of the rest of the group.

I assume that the next CBA negotiation is going to be a bear, as I’m sure the players are going to rightly ask for more in the way of guarantees on their contracts.

Draft saved Draft deleted