1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Basically the Ws gave up IGGY and a 2024 1st, and 2025 2nd, to get Russell then turned Russell into Wiggins, the Wolves 1st and 2nd next year, and dumped $4M in contracts. The salaries for Wiggins and Russell are the same for next 3 yrs so that’s a wash. I see how they got better picks than the ones they gave up. I liked Russell, looked like a team player with great shooting range but he didn’t fit with Steph and Klay, not at a max deal. At least Wiggins might fit as a bigger player; he’s more athletic than Barnes with better handle, and maybe he can blossom like Harrell or Lou Williams late. The W's also have a $17.2 trade exception through July and can add a substantial player that way.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don’t watch any Timberwolves games to know but isn’t Wiggins an upper level defender or no?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No.

No no no no no no.

Steph is a better defender.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See the hope is that at this point Steph is a better defender because he tries harder; the Ws can motivate Wiggins to try harder on D. From afar, it doesn't seem like Wiggins is a malcontent or has a bad attitude, he's just been lost, especially defensively.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, the Wolves aren't the Knicks. They've mostly been hiring competent, decently regarded coaches, and none of them have been able to produce much fruit from the KAT and Wiggins core. I think Russell is a great fit for them, and if the Warriors wanted to move on from Russell (already), this seems like a not so great return.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He doesn't have the rep as a malcontent, but when he was given the max contract he actually had a sit-down with the owner about the holes in his game and the need to improve. Wiggins vowed to improve and earn the deal he just signed... and by pretty much all accounts he did nothing and if anything got worse. (Not a brilliant move by ownership, of course.)

Steph has gotten better but he's still a guy you essentially try to hide on defense. I don't think they can have him on the floor at the same time with Wiggins unless they expect to score 150 every night.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’m a better defender

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Steph at least tries. I've seen cones defend better than Wiggins.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Try harder is a great strategy, it usually works. It’s similar to stop shooting people. Defense is a skill.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Shaq and Chuck annihilated Embiid at halftime. Damn...

TigerVols likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

An odd trade, mostly because the idea was that someone would pay for Russell and they could shed any salary which they would receive in return. Not going to happen with Wiggins

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reggie too; it’s rare to hear him trash anyone.

Meanwhile, if I am Brett Brown I am not buying anything on credit these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted