1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Eh, I understand some of the vitriol toward both, but I still find value in The Ringer and The Athletic. I don't consume it all. But then again, I don't eat everything at a buffet, either.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'll give you 30 cents for all your 1987 Topps.

playthrough likes this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

There's speculation in there Simmons would "link up" with ESPN again... I can't imagine there'd be a deal without Simmons being directly involved. His personal podcasts have to account for a ton of that 100 million downloads, I'd assume. That or people really care more about random hot takes on the Bachelor than I assume. That's not even meant to denigrate their other podcasters, but to say he has the only unique voice on the network, or close to it. If I want a rant about reality TV, it doesn't make me a hell of a lot of difference if it's a Ringer person or not, and lord knows I won't have to look far to find an alternative.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Your hatred for these outlets is over-the-top, but this made me laugh pretty hard

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This had me chuckling.

“With the Ringer, we’re basically getting the new ESPN,” Spotify CEO Daniel Ek told Recode in an interview Wednesday. “What [Simmons] has accomplished in just a few short years, it’s nothing short of extraordinary. … It’s not just his own podcast, but his whole network that’s doing really well. He’s a talent magnet.”

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I mean, it's not completely wrong...

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Probably more likely to be getting the new Broadcast.com.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

ESPN brings in almost $6 billion in revenue per quarter, so I'd say it's a bit of a stretch at this point.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of cashing out/in going on in Boston these days.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted