1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It is perfect. One place on the tour.

I got to get out there.

expendable likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

On Sunday at 16, the hole location will be 24 paces from the left and 8 from the back, along with a 24/8 flag and 24 and 8 stenciled in the grass short of the green.

Call me a cynical bastard, but I'm completely unimpressed. Everyone has to get a piece of this tragedy for their own self-serving needs. I'm waiting for Nascar to announce that at the Daytona 500 in two weeks, the 8th and 24th laps will be run under caution.

Cosmo and poindexter like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After a week, I think things have run their course. But I'm OK with it. Didn't Fox go with a no-announcing Lap 3 after Earnhardt's death for several weeks?

As for Phoenix, it is what it is. It's unique and the players understand it. Good to have it once a year. We don't need it at 17 at Pebble or 16 at Augusta.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Yes. That went on all season, IIRC. Funny that NASCAR didn't care at all about safety until after Ironhead was killed.

2) Seventeen at Pebble and 16 at Augusta - and 7 at Pebble and 12 at Augusta - don't need a gimmick. Neither does 17 at TPC Sawgrass.

5. MileHigh

17 at Sawgrass is a gimmick.

6. Sam Mills 51

But all 16 at Phoenix is missing is a windmill and a clown's mouth.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not a gimmick. It's just a golf hole. It isn't even original. About four miles up the road, the ninth hole at the Ponte Vedra Inn Ocean Course (built 1927) is an island hole. It's a bigger island, but the same deal.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the risk of threadjack, NASCAR would do it with 24 and 8 laps left.

justgladtobehere and playthrough like this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

That gets in the way of the "debris caution" when the leader has a sizable lead.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. MileHigh

It's not on TV. Sawgrass is. Gimmick. Especially having the first hole of the playoff there.

11. MileHigh

They have that already. On all three levels of the corporate suites.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

IYO

Draft saved Draft deleted