1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unnamedtemporarysportsblog.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Looks like some Deadspinners are getting the band back together for the next three days to mark the Super Bowl.

Let's Do Some Blogs

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think this is smart.

If they had a following and something they think works and has demand out there for it. ... out of sight is going to make for out of mind. Disappearing can undo the following it took time to build. If enough word spreads about this, and it gets any kind of signficant traffic, maybe they can use it to create a new opportunity for themselves. You don't know what can happen. ... you will never know unless you actually TRY.

I always appreciate an effort like this, and I think I will give them some traffic. I say that as someone who barely looked at deadspin.

You risk it not accomplishing anything, or not working or even making a fool of yourself. But it's better to take a chance and do something than to passively whine about how someone who was employing you didn't allow you to do the work you want and then disappear.

This won't pay the bills, so I get that not everyone has the luxury of putting time into something like this, but even if it accomplishes little for them I applaud them for simply trying. This falls under "trying to create your own luck" for me. You never know how it will be received or what next step it can lead to for you.

tonygunk likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As long as Magary's piece is in it, it will get traffic.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Prop bet: +/- 5 posts before Magary's dog is written about?

I also believe this is the first step in Deadspinners 2.0.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

And then what? They gonna have a big kumbaya around a campfire? Spare me

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'll read the Jamboroo because I like Magary. The rest of them can pull their lips over their heads and swallow.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

After the first 500 words, Magary’s post was amusing.

Deadspin was never really my thing, though, so I won’t be clicking there again.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit about Deadspin past or future, or who worked there, but I agree with Ragu. In today's world you don't let your audience slip away if you can help it. Start a website for a few days, write whatever shit you write, and go from there. If it works, fine. Build on it. If not, move on.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I hope it's all about politics.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hey, stick with sports. :)

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I will. I hope they really delve into it, though. Deep dive. Need their thoughts, unencumbered by their overlord bosses at Deadspin.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Should this be in blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted