1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethically curious

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Jan 30, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody remember when ESPN recoiled at the thought of its front-facing talent shilling for corporate partners? Here we have a reporter tasked with covering the NFL and pitching a league-sponsored and -branded loyalty club.

I feel

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't remember.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was about three ombudspersons ago - I think the late LeAnne Schrieber wrote about it - she's mentioned in a followup ombudsperson piece in 2014.

"Walsh and Stiegman were among those instrumental in compiling ESPN’s “Editorial Guidelines for Standards & Practices,” a work in progress begun six years ago after internal discussions and prodding from two previous ombudsmen, Don Ohlmeyer and LeAnne Schrieber. It was last substantially updated in 2012, but is, as Stiegman says, “a living document subject to change.”

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that they just cancelled "Outside The Lines." Have another talking head and more air time for another idiotic 30-minute screamfest/hot take crapfest ... but no time for 30 minutes of substance.

ESPN: Too many attempts at style, fading substance.

Liut likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Field Yates had to be a bargain.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

... with the devil?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OTL gone? Or am I thinking The Sports Reporters?

The ethics horse left the WWL so long ago, it's in the next county siring a future Kentucky Derby field.

maumann and Liut like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well if it is - we won't know about it because ESPN doesn't have the Kentucky Derby rights.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Outstanding, Dan!

10. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I think the video makes him look ridiculous. But as far as ethical considerations? For better or worse, I think that ship has sailed.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I cannot take any blame for Marty Smith. All I did at NASCAR.com was edit the crap out of his MartDawg columns and try to teach him how to write. The fact that he fell upward into the ESPN gig was entirely out of my hands.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Like anybody in Bristol read that columnist!

Draft saved Draft deleted