1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee to acquire BH Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

"As part of the $140 million deal, Berkshire Hathaway -- the Omaha-based company run by Warren Buffett -- will provide $576 million in long-term financing to Lee at a 9% annual rate. That covers Lee's approximately $400 million of existing debt."

3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

4. Legacy

Legacy Member

RIP OWH

5. Regan MacNeil

Is BH Media design done at each site or are there hubs? If it's at each site, I imagine a lot of people are either going to be laid off or asked to relocate. Unless Lee does remote work; I'm not sure if they do.

6. Legacy

Legacy Member

Lee has 2 hubs - one in Madison, Wis., and the other in Munster, Ind. (just outside of Chicago). Can feel the workloads rising there already.

Been there done that likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be in the "Getting out of the business" thread?

wicked likes this.
  8. Legacy

Legacy Member

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Some of the smaller papers in the east are done in hubs that were there when BH acquired them. Omaha has a hub for the smaller papers in Nebraska and Iowa. Here in Tulsa, we do Waco's design and the Tulsa World's. For a lot of papers, though, the design is still handled in house.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie. As a guy who holds the title "Chief Designer," this is not an easy day mentally.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lynchburg was a regional design hub for a lot of the smaller papers--Danville, Culpeper, Charlottesville, Martinsville, etc. Not sure if that's changed since I left.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Buffett is going to sell his papers for 140 million. He is going to lend 576 million at 9%. Lee will then pay off their 400 million in debt to other lenders with the proceeds of the loan.

My personal feeling about Lee is that they don't own enough big papers. I think that a lot of papers will go out of business. While small papers have been losing revenue at a slower pace than large papers it does not make sense to me that a town like Orangeburg will have a paper and a larger metro area like Charlotte will not.

Been there done that likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted