1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ is the most trusted name in news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bullshit. Show some fucking respect for the family. For myself and my family, we found out from the local sheriff's office, not the news. At the beginning, they couldn't reach the crash site and it took them several hours to get up there -- nearly 16 hours after the accident.

As I was driving to western Colorado, I was in contact with the sheriff's office dispatch. They had sent out a news release that they had received reports of a plane down and they were working to get up there.

When they confirmed it, they texted me the news release before sending it out and a deputy met me when I got to the sheriff's office and he consoled me.

For Bryant's family to find out that way is 1,000 percent out of bounds.

Dog8Cats, HanSenSE and Roscablo like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I haven't heard a statement or anything from the Bryant family (there might have been). We don't know how or when they found out.

Before anybody revealed the Altobelli IDs, there was already a makeshift memorial set up at the Orange Coast College baseball field. One of the assistant coaches knew he was going to be on the helicopter. He said he hoped Altobelli didn't go for whatever reason. He tried to call him after he heard about Bryant, but no answer. He would have answered. And Altobelli's brother is the SID at Orange Coast.

daytonadan1983 likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even the Daily Mail? Or is that just for female teacher-student sex?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for YF to do one of his "the media screwed up" tapdances.

It's breaking news, folks. Anywhere from the Podunk Shopping News and Fishwrap on up, it happens. With me in that situation, after feeling overwhelmed by how little we know and how much we need to know, it was always "report what you know, not what you don't know."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

There's a reason it is called the Thirty Mile Zone. Kobe's helicopter goes down in, say, Vegas? TMZ likely doesn't get it first.

rb

Batman likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That Lou Grant clip - go to 40:19. Sad.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This was Kobe. If you are as famous as Kobe, that fame gives up certain privileges.

Now for 99.999% of all Americans, I agree with you.

If Trump dies, I would think most sources is running it before all family is notified.

Severian, Batman, SFIND and 1 other person like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We will respectfully disagree.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

What would Gannett pay to get a scoop?

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Many of the "big" outlets have standards that preclude relying on TMZ for news ... other than, maybe, a "This news was first reported by [whatever outlet it was]" once the big outlet reports it. {And for the record, such "... was first reported by ... is a very professional move; too many networks or shows or personalities rely on the "Well, you know, they're saying that Babe Ruth has been brought back from the dead ..." without crediting the original reporting. }

I wouldn't doubt it also if many "big" outlets - absent an official announcement from law enforcement, family, etc. - rely on their reporters (presumably connected - that's how they earn their money) to confirm the news so that said big outlets can justifiably say, "XXXX-TV confirms that ... "

TMZ was the first that I saw to get that Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash. No argument. But I wasn't actively searching on Google for "Did Kobe Bryant die today and if so, how?"

Does the reporting Sunday mean that TMZ is the most trusted acronym in reporting? Uh, ... no.

I don't know and I don't care, but was TMZ first on the Paterno death? Ali's death? What price has TMZ paid when (if?***) it's been wrong?

*** I say "if" because I don't really care about TMZ's track record. In my job, I have standards that I have to honor. What price does TMZ pay if it's premature or just plain wrong?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is what I don't understand. If people want to shit on TMZ, fine. But I am not seeing the standards at the "big" outlets. ABC national news said that all of Kobe's daughters were on board. NBC and every single local LA outlet (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS) said for at least three hours that five people were dead. Dead wrong. So, what standards are these people using?

Draft saved Draft deleted