1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have my own bad memories about SuxoTech.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's Presto for the on-site folks and NewsGate/CCI for the editors and designers.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Oh, Newsgate. Fun times.

4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Saxotech?!?!? That takes me back. Soooooooo sloooowwwwww.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hope they updated ... if only to undo the massive mistakes incorporated into the last version.

And SaxoTech? Blech ... trying to be kind ...

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That's all journalism truly is now. It's so strange. We really should be nonprofit organizations and get rid of the moneygrubbing 1 percenters. I mean these companies don't give a flip about their employees, journalism, good stories. They care only about the top execs getting to stockpile their billions. Yes, some woebegone buttkiss suits care about good journalism and winning Pulitzer prizes and I suppose the top echelon 1 percenters at companies nod in approval if they win some top awards, but make no mistake. The little guys producing good journalims are pawns in arguably the worst business in the history of businesses: Newspapers (news gathering companies, whatever you want to call them). It's sick. Reporters and deskers really should all get out. All they are doing is helping 1 percenters, that's it.

Severian likes this.
  7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Wait, SaxoTech is still a thing? Gannett switched from that to its in-house CMS Presto in like 2014. And honestly, it was pretty good relative to a lot of other CMS. Assuming it has improved somewhat since I was last on it in 2017.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Last time I used SaxoTech was for Gannett in 2008. It was like working in satan’s asshole.

playthrough likes this.
  9. cubman

cubman Member

I'm shocked SaxoTech is still alive. I used that when I was the web editor in Newark (Ohio) in 2007. I think it was still around in my second stint there a few years later but haven't thought about it in years.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The last paper I was at full-time switched from Blox to Saxotech in like... 2016, 2017? One copy editor in particular pretty much thought it was akin to a second Holocaust, and spent more than a week complaining to every single person who came into the newsroom about it. (Like, even regular randoms that came in from the street.) I didn't think it was a great CMS, but I've also used like five different systems at this point, and pretty much all of them have had downsides.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

The worst CMS in history is always whatever you're currently on.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That will never change.

Draft saved Draft deleted