1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ is the most trusted name in news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Jan 27, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

TMZ's tweets didn't include everything they wrote in the stories.

The original story -- or at least the one I first saw -- said Kobe was survived by his wife and four children.

Not saying they got a lot wrong, but they got that wrong.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

3. poindexter

I wish I could edit the thread. TMZ is *my* most trusted name in news.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There was another story TMZ just dominated... as it Sean Taylor?

I have no problem them paying for correct information, and isn't it a skill to weed out the garbage from the facts when you are paying? They have that skill.

I'm TMZ for anything breaking. Then NPR once the dust has settled and I want good, solid reporting.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This is fascinating and a good reminder that Twitter is a true scourge.

No, you cannot. It would be a big deal if people can edit tweets.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it wasn't less than 90 minutes.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're not on my most-trusted list.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My daughter texted me yesterday at 11:56 a.m. to turn on the news. I was just about to go to KCBS-2 for golf, which started at noon. I got there shortly after noon and the basketball game hadn't ended. I quickly checked other channels, nothing, then came back to KCBS-2 for golf.

There was a panoramic shot of the course. Jim Nantz was very somber. He said there will be a golf tournament there today. There are reports that Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash, in Calabasas, which is 115 miles from here. Silence as the panoramic shot remained on the screen. Maybe a whole minute. Then Nantz again: as I said, there will be golf here today.

At that point, KCBS-2 went to the studio with a couple of harried anchors trying to tell us what was going on. Correctly, they never returned to golf. I'm sure it was on The Golf Channel. KCBS-2 stayed with story the entire day until 5 p.m., when it switched to the Grammy's, with an alert that the Kobe coverage would continue on KCAL-9, its sister station. I turned there and I think it was on until 11 p.m. when it returned to KCBS-2.

KCBS-2 veteran sports anchor Jim Hill was on fire yesterday. This story highlighted his connections. He was on the phone to the news room shortly after noon. A little while later, he came in and was on the set virtually all day. He got phone interviews that nobody else could get -- Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Bill Macdonald (Lakers announcer who was on the plane when the team was informed an hour into their flight home from Philly). Personal experiences. His connection to players in L.A. is incredible. Later in the evening, he got L.A .Times columnist Bill Plaschke, whose career as a columnist coincides with Kobe's arrival in the NBA. Hill said that when he goes to games, he sits next the beat writers. He said he always listens to what they say because if they say something negative, they always show up in the locker room to face the guy. By the 11 p.m. news, Hill looked haggard and beat down. He had an incredibly emotional day as a person and an incredibly productive day as a sports anchor.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Old Time Hockey likes this.
  9. poindexter

It wasn't, at least not live. The Golf Channel was showing the LPGA event while KCBS was doing Kobe coverage.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

TMZ scolded by police for breaking news of Kobe Bryant's death before family could be notified

"If TMZ reports that a celebrity has died in Los Angeles County, it is almost always correct. For whatever reason, and you can read into this, their accuracy rate in Los Angeles is very, very good,” he said.

The speedy coverage comes several years after the celebrity news gossip site was the first to break news about Michael Jackson’s death in 2009, according to CNN. It also was reportedly the first outlet to report on Whitney Houston’s death in 2009 as well when musician Prince died three years ago.​

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Right. Forgot about that. The PGA started on The Golf Channel at 10 a.m. and went until noon, when it shifted to the network.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This might sound glib, but that's the cost of fame in 2020.

It might not be right, but you cannot stop the internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted