1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Richie got a lot better as the show progressed. I liked his journey into the world of the immortals once he turned, and that they set that up right there in the pilot. When they eventually killed him off, he deserved a much better death than what he got.
    Richard Moll was a great villain, too. Too bad so many of the villains in that show, by design, were one-offs instead of recurring characters.

And, of course, RIP. It's sad to see anyone go that way.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do remember not being a fan of Richie's end, though Tessa's was worse. He almost had to get better. He was a really stupid kid at the start.

Moll actually was good. I would have liked to see them keep him around, but that episode needed a light show and a demonstration that Duncan was a bad ass.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

To be fair, anything released* in January is basically guaranteed to be a flop.

*is first released, not Oscar flicks that get a 20 screen run in December and are wildly released in January.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Kinda surprised something with Downey attached got a January release. Someone must've seen this being a disaster.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cats was released in December.

7. Spartan Squad

The rule does not preclude disasters in other months. And Cats was widely released in December, not in hipster theaters to satisfy the criteria for an Oscar nom.

8. outofplace

"The Falcon And The Winter Soldier" Set Photos Reveal First Look At "U.S Agent" | What's On Disney Plus

I'm not exactly sure what to expect from the Disney+ original programming, but The Falcon and the Winter Soldier certainly boasts an interesting mix of characters. In addition to the title characters and Helmut Zemo, the villain from Civil War, the show will include John Walker. In the comics, Walker ended up in the Captain America costume and was also a villain for a while before becoming the government-sanctioned hero U.S. Agent. The set pictures in the link have him in what looks like the U.S. Agent costume, complete with something that looks very much like Captain America's shield. Perhaps Sam Wilson won't be taking on Steve Rogers's old title after all, at least not at first.

9. Spartan Squad

First episode of Picard has dropped. My original captain is back.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They had a bunch of reshoots and director trouble that pushed its release back by months, I believe. I'm sure they knew it was going to bomb. There may be a few films out there that required major rewrites, reshoots and/or a new director that went to achieve critical and box office success, but I'd bet the list is pretty damn small.

My kids think it looks good. I'm not sure I'll be able to get past Downey's awful accent.

11. outofplace

The only recent movie I can think of that switched directors and turned out well was Ant-Man. They had some serious issues, including the departure of Edgar Wright, but the finished product was a good one.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It still had the fourth-lowest worldwide gross ($518M) in the MCU, and made $180M domestically with a budget of $130M.

It was decent, but forgettable.

Draft saved Draft deleted