1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. More people follow Rolling Stone than Matt Taibbi, its most well-known writer. And by a multiple of 20.
    upload_2020-1-24_12-35-38.png

upload_2020-1-24_12-37-2.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And not everybody follows both, so as much of a cesspool it is if would be dumb for a writer not to promote his own work.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When 380,000 followers is considered bad?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

I haven't been on Twitter in a bit so not sure how it works, but can you post things and not make them open to comments, even by followers? Or turn off your notifications, anyway? That's why I quit it. It was a worm hole of vitriol from people whose team you had the audacity to make fun of.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's mostly what Twitter is.

The bullies need to be pushed back, which is the only good reason to be on the platform, in my mind.

wicked likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Only way for a new Deadspin writer to proceed, I'd think, is to go right at the matter, happily acceding any critique a former Deadspinner might have while reminding them they're the Ed Norton character in The 25th Hour - telling everyone to fuck off right before he goes to jail in exile.

Hell, I'd start the first piece.

"Hi, my name's Scab."

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I like the idea, but I don’t think that’s the only way. Deadspin doesn’t NEED to be what it once was, and it doesn’t NEED to address its ownership/employment situation. You’ll never get the readers back who care about that, and you’re not impressing the folks who actually will read.

8. CD Boogie

Yeah, maybe if you gave a fuck what a former Deadspinner had to say. What I find amusing is that the new EIC said sticking to sports will not be part of the deal. Even better. This is gonna be good. I am applying for a job there.

A scab? What picket line is being crossed? Those humps quit.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree they’re not scabs.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They quit because management fundamentally betrayed just about every aspect of the contract.

A strike wasn't going to accomplish anything, so they quit.

And no one can claim the mass quitting didn't accomplish anything; it killed the site, potentially forever in terms of success/readership.

Anyone who writes there knowing what management did will get no sympathy from me.

JC and matt_garth like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"True story."--The Athletic

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nor I. But, if a person had to eat, you know, and do this thing with some moxie, I’d just go right at it.

I might have the first piece be entitled “Dear Drew Magary” although an open letter to Laura Wagner might be more daring.

Draft saved Draft deleted