1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"You never cover us"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jan 16, 2020.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

What we've tried to do is tailor the editorial to the platform -- twitter for this, IG for that, facebook for the alum, etc., and it changes with every event and circumstance. The web site is now the final destination - -complete game book, videos, photo galleries, my column, etc

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No offense to anyone here but I can't stand when writers refer to their work as 'content'. It is self-demeaning and self-defeating.

3. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

I assume you're at least 60 years old

Rhody31 and PaperClip529 like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You'd be wrong.

5. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I did not know that Sean Spicer had gotten into coaching prep wrestling. Good for him.

wicked and SFIND like this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was on the stat crew for the women's basketball team at local university -- years ago, when this team was consistently bad bad bad -- I would count the crowd while we were standing for the national anthem. Sometimes -- sometimes -- it would be in the triple digits.

7. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

Agreed. When it comes to the art of sports reportage, the game recap is, at best, a zombie at this point. Let's see more content about the human element.

With that said, one need not throw away all of the old playbook. Depending on how many of an event's non-attendees are expected to read, you can still shoot for a piece that immortalizes the moment and makes people feel like they were there. And you can still be the proverbial eyes and ears in places other spectators can't access, and strive for stories like Gay Talese's "The Locker Room."

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. tranzam

tranzam New Member

I write high school sports, take pictures and sell ads.
    High school sports DOESN'T deliver page views.
    It DOES deliver ad revenue and subscriber revenue.

tonygunk likes this.
  9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Yes. Well said.

I’m the SE at my shop and we’ve always just covered the shit out of HS sports and two lower division colleges. I always used to be proud of it, and I still am, but it feels increasingly pointless.

Nobody reads it unless it’s about them. That’s how news is consumed these days. You read what you like now, so who reads anything that’s not about them? If they ever did before.

Bottom line is, people care about pro football, college football, pro basketball, pro baseball, college basketball and in some markets pro and college hockey.

That’s really it. Sometimes I wonder why I kill myself when wire stuff on the state pro and college teams is read by way more people than HS shit. I’m getting older and work is starting to become something just to get over with these days.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Featurize, featurize, featurize.

11. Potsie Weber

Potsie Weber New Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I hear you. Had to hang at the office when we hosted a couple of chamber mixers and I got more questions about the Super Bowl than some upcoming rivalry games. The only other fun mixer was when our marketing manager bought her dad, who was a retired coach in an adjoining town. Got him to tell us stories most of the night.

Draft saved Draft deleted